Author Topic: From the other side of the resume (low key rant - personal advice)  (Read 25740 times)

theatremonster

Also, as you gain more experience I'd recommend moving your education further down the page.  For an entry level position like an internship you're probably best to leave it there, but as you gain more "real world" experience that should take precedence over your education - in my opinion at least.

I concur, however... you say that you don't have a degree; are you currently pursuing one?  If not, I might leave it off altogether, or at least move it down now.

Thanks everyone.

Kevin & nmno -

No, I'm not pursuing a degree in theatre or arts management. I have a dual degree that has nothing to do with the arts.

Quick question though: Do you think I should trim my resume down to one page? I'm just worried that if I only include some theatrical experience (almost 3 quarters of the shows were in my native language, so I only listed shows in the English language), what would distinguish me from the hundreds of applicants with degrees in theatre?

Even so, I have some editing to do. I decided to take your advice and move my education further down, so as to highlight my theatrical background.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2007, 01:18 am by theatremonster »

nmno

Do you think I should trim my resume down to one page? I'm just worried that if I only include some theatrical experience (almost 3 quarters of the shows were in my native language, so I only listed shows in the English language), what would distinguish me from the hundreds of applicants with degrees in theatre?

Yes, you should trim it down to one page.  It's hard; each show is like a child... and how can you say you love one more than another.  But you can, trust me.
As to what would distinguish you.  How about dual degrees, and doing show in two different languages!  You can list your shows as "selected stage management experience" which makes it clear that you've done more shows than what's listed, but these are what are relevant or most recent.  If you'd like, send me a copy of your resume and I'll take a look.

theatremonster

Yes, you should trim it down to one page.  It's hard; each show is like a child... and how can you say you love one more than another.  But you can, trust me.
As to what would distinguish you.  How about dual degrees, and doing show in two different languages!  You can list your shows as "selected stage management experience" which makes it clear that you've done more shows than what's listed, but these are what are relevant or most recent.  If you'd like, send me a copy of your resume and I'll take a look.

thanks, I think I'll do that.

Meanwhile, I'm sending you via email my unedited resume. Feel free to put notes or move some stuff around or erase it or whatever  :)

Thanks for doing this, I really appreciate it.

Debo123

• Contributor
    • View Profile
(Wow... I haven't posted here in like a year... it's nice to be back)

Two things I do that are different....
So one thing I have on my resume that nobody has mentioned here is the SMs I worked under for the show. The goal was to identify where specific SMs have have worked with me repeatedly. Since at this point I'm not really building a relationship SMing for specific directors, at least a PSM/PM could see that I have worked with some SMs who want me back, even across different theatres. Also, I am in a relatively close professional community (Seattle), and knowing that I've worked with so-and-so on a specific show is helpful, (assuming I know that so-and-so wants to work with me again) because then they can call up whoever it is and ask about me, and I widen my pool of references to someone they'll know and trust.
(Of course, I would hope they wouldnt call and tell this person that I made them a reference when really they were just listed on the resume. But all of those people listed there have been references at one time or another as I gained more experience, and usually those listed as references are just my most recent work, or someone I know has worked with the company.)
It's listed pretty clearly on the resume actually, right next to director.
Company Name
Gem of the Ocean   SM Intern (2nd ASM)    dir. Phylicia Rashad / SMs: E. Farwell, S. Lotti, A. Poisson
Blue Door      SM Intern (ASM)        dir. Leigh Silverman / SM: JR Welden

Has anyone else heard of this or seen this? I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The other thing I do is specify the functional role in the production I had when I was an intern. I have been told it's helpful in indicating what "intern" means. And, as I'm reading this, it probably seems weird that there are three SMs there and I write that I acted like the 2nd ASM- in rehearsal I was a 2nd, but three are listed because one had to leave when we opened. And I have another credit like that where we added an SM for the run when one of the team was ill. Again, functioned as second assistant, but I worked with all three.
Is that weird to anyone who hasn't heard that explanation, or does it make sense? It doesn't seem like a piece of cover letter-worthy info. Is it something that would make you think I was a liar, or (as has been the case before) something you'd ask about in an interview?

I hope this is clear... I've been on here super late catching up on old posts! :-)
Thanks for the welcome back.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
What I have taken to doing (in my currently being revised resume) is instead just listed my experience as follows:

2002-2007   Freelance Lighting Designer, Sound Designer, Stage Manager, Theatre Technician
•   Worked on over 70 shows in various roles in more than 35 different venues
•   Managed my own business, including financial records
•   Have worked on 9 new Australian works, and three Australian premiers in a lead designer role
•   Employed to work on 3 state wide band tours as lighting operator/designer
•   Quoted for and performed 4 venue refurbishments and installations

Then, I list crowning achievements later in a section called "Career highlights", only using a few choice shows.

I have not tried it out yet,  but I am hoping it will work well...

riotous