Author Topic: From the other side of the resume (low key rant - personal advice)  (Read 25715 times)

debos23

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
This thread is terrific!  Thank you, Matthew, for kicking it off.

I'd like to pick up on something Justin said about acting and directing credits.   I found in my SPT environment that I was expected to have a lot more acting and directing knowledge and vocabularly than I ever imagined.   I'm not sure if the heavy emphasis on acting maintenance is a company-specific thing or is found widely in companies that produce plays.  Is this an issue in the larger shows/musicals?   If so, *should* we put acting and directing training and experience on the resume?   Or, is it a given that one learned that stuff in undergrad, and perhaps discuss it at the interview level?  What do the people on the receiving side of the resume think?

debos23

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Thank you, Justin!   This is definitely helpful.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
I agree with those saying that SM resume should include only SM, ASM, PA credits (if possible).

If an ad asks for a certain skill or experience in another department, put it under special skills or mention it in your cover letter.

I guess an exception would be if the job is a PSM/ LD or PSM/ TD or ASM/ AD position where you will not just be asked to have skill in an area, but be performing dual roles.

But if a job decsription just mentions that you will need to run the light board, you don't need section of your resume listing how many times you've board oped.

nikkiec

• New to Town
    • View Profile
In regards to layout, looking for an opinion or two: I have on my resume currently PSM, SM, ASM work, however where I am working now my position title is PA, (my function is basically that of a non AEA ASM).  For those of you who receive resumes, would you suggest making a seperate section on my resume for the PA work, or keeping it with the SM listings?  If seperate is suggested, then would you suggest keeping the PA section at the top of the resume, keeping it chronological, or after the SM section, keeping it focused to what I am applying for.  (I hope that makes sense!)
Any input would be great, and this is a fabulous thread!!!
Thanks!
~nikki
Done and Done

SMLD

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Excellent Post.  Thanks. 
As for climbing the ladder do you have any suggestions for becoming a PA on Broadway?  Is that an AEA position as well? Do you have to know people or will they hire complete strangers?  Just curious.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
Hi SMLD: there are several posts about how to "climb the ladder" and get work on Broadway elsewhere around the site like here: http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php/topic,599.0.html, or I think your specific question would be answered here: http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php/topic,1327.0.html. Do a quick search for "broadway" and you'll come up with a lot of useful discussions.

Meanwhile, let's keep this great post rolling with advice for those SM job applications.

SMLD

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Thanks lgh007,

I guess I knew my answer all along. It is who you know first, talent second.  Hopefully we will all run into the right person at the right time.

Hols

• New to Town
    • View Profile
In the Related Experience category, what is the industry standard for saying "reads music"? I am very new to stage management and am putting my resume together for the first time. Thanks!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
In the Related Experience category, what is the industry standard for saying "reads music"? I am very new to stage management and am putting my resume together for the first time. Thanks!

"Reads music" is perfectly acceptable in my opinion.  The only thing I'd be careful about is making sure you can completely read it, notes, time, etc...  Me for instance, I can't read it completely, but I can follow a tempo, so I have "Can follow music" on my resume.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

LisaEllis

You can also say why/how you read music, for example
   5 years of piano lessons
  member of Whatever Youth Symphony

or "able to read piano/vocal score"

I once was asked to follow a full orchestral score for a piece...I did it for a rehearsal, but managed to get my hands on a piano reduction after that.

Hols

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Thanks for the input!

theatremonster

Thank you for posting that!

I've just started sending applications for internship last month. With every point you make, I ask myself, "did I do that?" I really hope I found the SMnetwork before I started on my applications.

Just looking for input from those who evaluate resumes and those who hire SM interns.

Do you think a 2 page resume is too long for someone who doesn't have a degree in theatre but have community & collegiate theatre experience?

Do interns have to tailor their resumes like what Justin did? Separate the SM experiences with the rest (costume, AD, TD experiences) or mix them all together including the acting experience?

I did my resume like this:

Contact Info

Educational Background

Theatrical Experience

Work Experience (Non-theatre-related Internships, part-time & summer jobs)

Related Skills 

Or should I leave the work experience out? I don't have a degree in theatre that's why i included the work experience.

I hope someone can help me. 

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
I would strongly discourage 2-page resumes earlier in you career.  You should find out the typical sm format and stick to that – and this coming from someone who has a 2-page resume – but I have 20 years experience in the business.  (20 years, god I am old). 

Again, I think people need to be really careful from deviate form a normal resume format.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Also, as you gain more experience I'd recommend moving your education further down the page.  For an entry level position like an internship you're probably best to leave it there, but as you gain more "real world" experience that should take precedence over your education - in my opinion at least.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

nmno

Also, as you gain more experience I'd recommend moving your education further down the page.  For an entry level position like an internship you're probably best to leave it there, but as you gain more "real world" experience that should take precedence over your education - in my opinion at least.

I concur, however... you say that you don't have a degree; are you currently pursuing one?  If not, I might leave it off altogether, or at least move it down now.  You want to make a good first impression so should put first the facts you want to highlight (in your case, it sounds like that would be your experience, even tho it's at the community/college level.
As to the other work experience, I guess it would depend on how relevant it is.  Can you justify putting it on there.  If you are applying to a Children's theatre, I'd say that summer as a camp councelor could establish your ability and interest in working with children.  That part-time job as a stock-boy, probably not so informative and could be left off.

riotous