Author Topic: ? for those who hire  (Read 6081 times)

prizm

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mikear.com
  • Experience: Professional
? for those who hire
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:05 pm »
OK so Ive was a member of Equity for about 5 years then went to grad school for myself. It was attached to a large LORT theatre (I went on waiver) so I essentially filled the roll of the ASM on over half of the seasons productions though I was listed in the program as PA. SO my question is I want to include my credits because so many of the directors I worked with are big in the Regional world, but does anyone who hires relizee that a PA is an ASM on waiver? Should I include something or just leave the credits off?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
good question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 10:39 pm »
I would either list as PA if there was an equity asm above you, or perhaps non-equity asm.

It's a fine line.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

prizm

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mikear.com
? for those who hire
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 11:54 pm »
well there was never another AEA asm just me as PA
its a very fine line I just didnt know how people who hire look at PA on a resume do they know that in the LORT world the PA is usually the ASM or do they see PA and say he/her has no real experience.

Erin_Candice

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cafepress.com/theatregeek
  • Affiliations: None... but open to invitations!
? for those who hire
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 12:19 am »
I worked as an intern ASM and then an apprentice ASM.  I essentially did everything a non-equity ASM would do, minus decent pay.  (Props tracking, line notes, run shifts, supervise crews, etc)  I couldn't get a call back on my resume until I dropped the "apprentice" part from my resume under the suggestion of my SM.  I did that and got two calls the next week.  People don't want to hire you if they think your last job was training, but fewer and fewer places are hiring non-equity ASM's in favor of the cheaper interns.  I think it's more important to properly identify your responsibilities than properly name your title.
"At three minutes past eight, you must dream."
~Sir Ralph Richardson

Go to http://www.cafepress.com/theatregeek NOW!

nmno

? for those who hire
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 01:48 pm »
In your case, if you'd been working Equity shows for 5 years, I would think that your resume would indicate that this wasn't "a PA who has no real experience."  If you dont feel comfortable stretching and putting nonEquity ASM (I do think you should somehow make it clear that those were non-equity positions) perhaps list the shows, which were part of your degree program, separately, under Education.
Cover Letter would also be an excellent place to explain the situation.

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: ? for those who hire
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2006, 01:33 pm »
I would suggest asking those who were your supervisor while you were the PA.  Let me know that you feel the job you did really falls under the title of ASM and you would rather list it on your resume as ASM.  I say talk to them about it because then they know its listed that way.  Its good for them to know incase someone who is looking at your resume sees it and is like "i know so and so who was there at that time" and gives him a call to see what they say about you, then they know you listed it as ASM.

In college I worked event production on campus and my job title was stage manager after i finished I talked to my boss and was like "you know the job I really did is better reflected on my resume saying Production Manager." He completely agreed and said I should list it that way.  It could be bad if I didn't talk to him if someone called him as one of my references saying "I have a resume here for Jason and it says he was your production manager" and then my boss would reply "no he was a stage manager." This looks like i was lying on the resume and is sure to warrant a place in the circular filing cabinet.

So talk to the people who might be contacted to see how you performed at your job as the PA, otherwise the cover letter is a great place to include those extra things that dont have a place on the resume.