Author Topic: For employers: When do you call references?  (Read 31942 times)

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
For employers: When do you call references?
« on: Sep 01, 2008, 02:07 pm »
I'm curious when during the hiring process you call references?  Is it part of your resume-vetting process pre-interviews, or do you wait to call references until after you've meet and interviewed a candidate? 

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: For employers: When do you call references?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2008, 02:36 pm »
I tend to call references after a first interview.  Calling references is a large time and energy drain, so I want to make sure I feel the person is qualified, I like their personality, and they are available.

Then I would call the reference.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

SMExtraordinaire

• New to Town
  • Must respect the ball cap....
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Stage Manager's Association
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2008, 04:30 pm »
I tend to call references after a first interview.  Calling references is a large time and energy drain, so I want to make sure I feel the person is qualified, I like their personality, and they are available.

Then I would call the reference.

Agreed. Though there have been rare occassions when I have called references before the interview because they had the best resume and I was sure if I liked said person I would be offering them the job asap, but that is extremely rare.
"It required a bland, conscientious temperament that expected abuse and never admiration. The best stage managers are usually women, who bear the indignity for the historical neccessity of continuity itself." - John Osbourne

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2008, 07:31 pm »
I would also agree that I call references after an interview, unless the reference is someone that I know, in which case I might call them before an interview to get more info about someone.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2008, 08:22 am »
Same here - after the first interview, before making the offer. Unless I know the reference - then I might call before interviewing the candidate, just to get some info on the candidate up front from someone I know.

chops

• Contributor
  • My tie got caught in an arbor today
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2008, 02:48 pm »
Post interview also.  But I have never seen anyone who would put a reference down who would speak badly of said person.  You can still get a lot of info out of a reference but I always take what they say with a grain of salt. 
Peace,

Chops

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2008, 03:43 pm »
After the interview--if I'm considering that particular candidate.  Questions to references have to be carefully worded--can't really be subjective personal stuff.

My all time "answers all I need to know" question is, " would you hire (name) again?"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2008, 06:11 pm »
"But I have never seen anyone who would put a reference down who would speak badly of said person."

I have been on both sides of this.

Have called a reference who, with in all legalities, basically said the person was a huge screw up, and didn't think they could handle the job, and was upset they were used as a reference.

I have also been put down as a reference for a person I would consider a DNH (Do not Hire).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2008, 01:32 am »
"But I have never seen anyone who would put a reference down who would speak badly of said person."

I have been on both sides of this.

Have called a reference who, with in all legalities, basically said the person was a huge screw up, and didn't think they could handle the job, and was upset they were used as a reference.

I have also been put down as a reference for a person I would consider a DNH (Do not Hire).

I have had both of these happen as well.  It is just a good reminder to always make sure that you check with people that you would like to use as references to make sure you know what they would say about you and that they are ok with being used as a reference.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

LizH

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2008, 05:59 am »
I usually call after I've interviewed someone, although sometimes I call beforehand- it depends on how much of a pain scheduling the interview is.

I have run into a few instances while making such calls when what wasn't said was the important portion of the conversation.