Author Topic: Following up on an application  (Read 4498 times)

jc1691

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Following up on an application
« on: Jun 06, 2012, 01:52 pm »
How should I follow up after submitting a resume and cover letter? I was responding to an ad posting so I know they are looking. I submitted a little under a week ago so I'm just preparing to send one out in a couple of days. I've never followed up on a submission before (I'm only a year out of college so I'm still getting used to the business). I'm just not sure what to write in an e-mail that doesn't scream "Did you get my e-mail? Did you? Did you? Did you?"
I'm sure it's also probably better to call but I'm not sure what to say. I mean I'm from the area but I've never seen a show there and hadn't even heard of the theatre until I saw the job posting so I can't use that as a conversation starter and I certainly don't want to lie. I don't personally know anyone who works there but I'm still looking into whether I may know someone who has worked for them in the past. But for the sake of this post, lets just assume that I don't know anyone who works there nor anyone who would know anyone who works there.
Any suggestions/tips?!

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Re: Following up on an application
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2012, 02:31 pm »
You might want to check out this topic where this was discussed at length

http://smnetwork.org/forum/employment/how-long-do-you-wait-for-a-response/

There are a variety of opinions; see what matches your personality and abilities!

Break a pencil....

jc1691

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2012, 02:50 pm »
I actually did read that thread before I posted this one and it didn't have quite what I was looking for. I'm not really looking for how long to wait or anything, I'm literally asking HOW to follow up. Like what should I say in my e-mail/phone call aside from "Hey, I sent you an e-mail....just checking that you got it." I mean....basically that but more subtle.

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2012, 02:53 pm »
Ah - thanks for clarifying. As you did read that post thru, I am sure others will gladly weigh in on their experiences!

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2012, 03:01 pm »
Double check the job posting to make sure it doesn't say anywhere "No phone calls please".  Many places do not want their phone lines flooded with job inquiries; so if it says that then do not call.

Personally, I'm a wimp. I would rather email than call. I can handle a rejection email rather than a rejection phone call. But if they allow phone calls and you feel more comfortable calling, do it before/after hours so you can leave a voicemail.

My general speech is this: "Hi my name is (name here) and I recently applied for the (job here). I'm just checking on the status of the position. Feel free to contact me at (phone number here). Thank you very much and have a great day." Can be adjusted to an email.

Good luck! 

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2012, 03:19 pm »
As someone who hires assistants seasonally, here's what I recommend (to not tick off the potential employer).

1. Double check the posting to see if it says "No Phone Calls." If so, do NOT call to check on the status of your application. That will immediately put in the hiring person's mind that you do not follow directions.

2. Double check the posting to see if it says "Do not call/email to check on the status of your application." In other words, they are saying "Don't call us, we'll call you." Once again, if you do this when the posting says not to, they will know that you do not follow directions.

3. Keep in mind that if you saw this posting, so did others. There was one season where I had 75 applicants from all across the US for just one Production Assistant job. I had so many that I had to store them in an email folder and when I finally had free time, I started sorting through them.

4. Check out the theater's website and see if they are in tech/performance and see if you can figure out who you applied to. For PA's, they apply directly to me, the PSM, and if I'm in tech/performance, anything not show related is going to be put off until the show closes, or at least until after opening. If you're applying to the Production Manager, they should be free for a follow up after a show opens. If you're applying to Human Resources, be aware that they may want to run through qualified applicants with hiring staff (PM/TD/PSM, etc) before contacting potential hires.

5. Some companies only want to send out one email. As I said in #3, I didn't have time to answer each email with a "Thanks for applying, I received your materials, we'll be in touch." Instead, once I had time, my ASM and I went through all applicants, picked those that we wanted to interview, then contacted the rest letting them know that the interview process was already full and that we would keep their resumes for the next round of hiring.

6. If 1 & 2 above do NOT apply in your case, then I recommend either of the following:
    a) You can call to say "Hi, my name is xxxx and I wanted to make sure you received my resume and cover
        letter for the xxxx job posting I saw on xxxx." Depending on your email situation, you can add, "I've
        been having a bit of trouble with my attachments sending properly and I wanted to make sure you did
        receive them." (I personally have this problem with my work email.) There is also the option that your 
        email got caught in their Spam filter. You could say "Sometimes my emails get caught in Spam filters,
        since I use Yahoo (etc). I just wanted to make sure you did receive it."
    b) You can send an email stating the same items in (a), though if your original email got caught in Spam
         land, then odds are this one will too.

7. Don't be pushy. If they said they received it, they will get back to you when they are ready. If you are applying for a job and need to know by a certain date as to whether or not they are interested in you, keep that in mind and when you don't hear from them - move on.

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2012, 03:23 pm »
Also, look on the posting for a submission deadline. If that hasn't come yet, they may be waiting for that date to sift thru or to send out the "We are reviewing your stuff" emails.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim