Author Topic: First Aid/Fire Guard  (Read 28712 times)

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
  • Experience: Professional
Re: First Aid/Fire Guard
« Reply #15 on: Jun 08, 2008, 10:22 pm »
I believe Fireguard is a NYC thing. I was asked if I had my card. Of course I felt stupid as I had no idea what they were talking about. But, the theatre company gave me a form and a check and I had to go take a test. It wasn't too bad, but I was glad I looked at the study guide as there were things I never even thought of, like parts of a commerical sprinkler system. I certainly would not be concerned about the Fireguard unless you have to go take the test and even then if you have some common sense you will have no problem with it.

Where did you end up going for this, and where do you get the study guide? I've worked in NY for a year and haven't needed it, but I do for an upcoming show, and I and the producer don't know where to go. When I google it, the answers are very confusing and I don't know what I'm looking at.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

chops

• Contributor
  • My tie got caught in an arbor today
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2008, 11:47 pm »
I have my first responder cert and my company pays for me to keep it current.  It's just a good thing to have.  But you should always have CPR and first aid no matter what field you are in.  It is just a good idea. 
Peace,

Chops

Libby

« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2008, 10:47 am »
MarcieA,
You would get your fire guard certificate at 9 Metrotech Plaza in Brooklyn. Here is a link to the nyc.gov site. It's technically a Certificate of Fitness. It's Examination F-94, Fireguard for Places of Public Assembly and Fire Guard for Film Studios.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/c_of_f/coff.shtml

Also, here is another site when I was trying to figure it out myself (it's a little more user friendly than a .gov site). It's a theatre company that just happened to have info on their website.

http://horsetrade.info/process/fireguard.htm

Hope that helps!

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2008, 11:22 am »
MarcieA,
You would get your fire guard certificate at 9 Metrotech Plaza in Brooklyn. Here is a link to the nyc.gov site. It's technically a Certificate of Fitness. It's Examination F-94, Fireguard for Places of Public Assembly and Fire Guard for Film Studios.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/c_of_f/coff.shtml

Also, here is another site when I was trying to figure it out myself (it's a little more user friendly than a .gov site). It's a theatre company that just happened to have info on their website.

http://horsetrade.info/process/fireguard.htm

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much, it really helps! There are so many different types of exams, and you just completely narrowed it down for me, I really appreciate it!
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

stageman7

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yale.edu/drama/index.html
« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2008, 07:21 pm »
In NYC. a fireguard is someone whom stands by when 'hot work' is being done-welding, roof tar. cutting metal that causes sparks, etc. The fireguard is responsible for on-site safety, evacuation during alarms, and anything else that connects the theater to the Fire Marshal.. Take care- Rich A.

Cherie B. Tay

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2008, 09:23 pm »
I have to take the F-94 fire guard test for my current job.

Here's the info I was sent:
You’ll need a letter of recommendation from your theatre company, the A-20 form, and I believe the cost is $35 for the test.  Present those 3 items to the testing center at Fire Department      Bureau of Fire Prevention, 9 Metrotech Center, Brooklyn, NY 11201-3857.

LisaS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2014, 05:13 pm »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my current show has an actor as a fire guard and all of a sudden the space is telling us that isn't allowed.  I'm having trouble finding any information on whether this is standard (it's a blackbox type space where there is no separation between the actors and the audience, if that makes a difference, there will also always be fewer than 75 people in the space, which is the number that I'm seeing for a space that needs a fireguard). Does anyone have any insight?

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2014, 12:56 am »
Hi Lisa. The reason an actor can't be a fireguard is, as far as I can tell, that they have to have free range of the space- meaning an actor, who is only backstage and on-stage, board op, who is in the booth, etc. cannot do it. This is why house managers are generally the fire guard- they are able to roam around during the performance and can notice any potential hazards. Even is the space is small, the venue owners are probably keeping this in mind.
The study materials are linked below and the test fee is only $25, so if someone in your show needs to have it done, it's not the worst thing. The test is fairly easy too.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/cof_study_material/f_03_st_mat.pdf
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2014, 12:58 am by SMMeade »

riotous