Author Topic: First Aid/Fire Guard  (Read 28716 times)

Trevor7

• Contributor
    • View Profile
First Aid/Fire Guard
« on: Jul 05, 2007, 02:14 pm »
I was just wondering peoples advice on this.  I am starting out SM'ing in NYC and I was told that It was a really good idea to get my First Aid/CPR cert, along with Fire Guard cert.  I was wondering if anyone thinks this is a good investment or not? The classes are really expensive but if it will help me get work I think it would be worth it.  Just curious what people think about this.

BWEEVEED

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: First Aid/Fire Guard
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2007, 03:51 pm »
I'm not too sure what a fire guard is...but taking a CPR or first aid course would be an EXCEPTIONAL idea and you'll use it forever. I think you need to take the CPR class every year to refresh it or something.
If the world is a stage then we rule the world.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2007, 04:19 pm »
I'm CPR and First Aid certified (as well as a lifeguard), and while I've never had to use either at work (knock on wood!!!) it's often times come up as positive topic of discussion in interviews.

To certify with the Red Cross it's a yearly renewal and the Heart Association is a 2-year certification. No idea why.

My friend has a fire guard cert because the theatre she works at  payed her to get it, but to my knowledge she hasn't had to use it for anything.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2007, 04:23 pm »
I always try to keep my first aid and CPR current just because it is good to know. 

As far as the fire guard certification, I have one but my understanding is you have to have a company help you get it.  You need a letter from the company to take in with you when you take the test.  I actually got mine when I was working house staff and they paid for me to get it.  I don't think it's helped me get jobs, just a perk for whoever hires you.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2007, 05:54 pm »
I would strongly recommend both the first aid and CPR certification for any SM.  I have had to use my training in this several times.  If nothing else, it will help you clarify when the actor's injury is serious, versus the usual paper cut/splinter that just needs a band-aid and a little personalized attention.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2007, 07:40 pm »
The more training you have the better, it certainly isn't going to hurt.  It will certainly look good on a resume and is useful knowledge.  Will it be the difference in getting or not getting a job?  I'd say probably not.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2007, 08:15 pm »
First aid can be the difference between Job/No Job. In fact, more and more PD's I am seeing these days specifically ask for First Aid.

D

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2007, 09:49 pm »
Personally, I think all stage managers should be CPR/First Aid Certified; just another thing in your pocket to make you more prepared, for anything. 

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2007, 12:27 am »
First Aid/CPR yes, with AED training.  Don't know so much about fire guard.  The other cert that I used to think about obtaining was a firearms license.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2007, 08:32 am »
It is a good idea to have First Aid/CPR certification.

The Stage Managers' Association (SMA) occasionally holds training sessions for members in NYC and other cities nationwide. I think a training session is coming up in NY, too. Check out www.stagemanagers.org.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2007, 08:48 am »
I got CPR/ First Aid certified while I was in college- and it helped me secure a job as a camp counselor!

I like to see that folks KNOW CPR/ 1st aid-- but I'd never not hire someone because they weren't...

sailor_sam

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2007, 08:00 pm »
I am First Aid, CPR and lifeguard cert.  I also have an AED (Automated External Defibrillator) cert.   Its a really easy class, and it can come in handy with an abundance of AED's in the workplace.  But you have to be re-certed. every year with it.  I

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2007, 12:27 am »
What the heck is "Fire Guard"? My company offers First Aid/CPR, but I've never heard of Fire Guard....unless it's basic fire safety stuff...the Fire Department comes to us and teaches about basic fire safety and the different types of fire extinguishers, ABC...and whatnot....P.A.S.S....Pull, Aim, Shoot and Sweep. That's what most major companies I've worked for have offered. And believe me, it comes in handy when we have live flame onstage...

SMLD

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 21, 2007, 11:47 pm »
I believe Fireguard is a NYC thing. I was asked if I had my card. Of course I felt stupid as I had no idea what they were talking about. But, the theatre company gave me a form and a check and I had to go take a test. It wasn't too bad, but I was glad I looked at the study guide as there were things I never even thought of, like parts of a commerical sprinkler system. I certainly would not be concerned about the Fireguard unless you have to go take the test and even then if you have some common sense you will have no problem with it.

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 23, 2007, 12:31 pm »
To certify with the Red Cross it's a yearly renewal and the Heart Association is a 2-year certification. No idea why.

They change their procedures if they come up with something that they think will work better.  I had gotten CPR/First Aid training in college, and I just did a recert for the first time since then.  They had totally changed almost all the CPR stuff, and added AED.  I'm glad that I did recert to get up to date with the new policies, and to learn AED since we have a couple around the building.

As for it helping get jobs - its been on my resume since day one, but I've never been personally asked in an interview.  I've used the First Aid skills in almost every production I've ever done, as well as in my personal life, so I consider the one of the best classes I ever took in college.  Is there any other options for cheaper classes that you might be able to take?  Maybe in a community center outside of NYC that you could get to by train?

-Centaura

riotous