Author Topic: Facebook through an Employer's eyes?  (Read 16350 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Facebook through an Employer's eyes?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:42 am »
I have removed all my responses to this topic; don't wish to argue/discuss this particular topic anymore.

Happy Holidays to all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:47 am »
I have removed all my responses to this topic; don't wish to argue/discuss this particular topic anymore.

Happy Holidays to all.

I thought your responses were extremely valid, and it was great to see the other side of the argument.

Sorry if the replies were a little argumentative. I didn't mean for the thread to turn out this way.

I thought they were valid too!

I think this is a good debate/discussion to have, as it's really relevant.

I think what we have to remember and remind ourselves (as there are is no voice inflection and such via a discussion forum) is that we are all entitled to our opinions, and most of the time, we probably post with better intentions than what it comes across as.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents. I feel like we need to cue music here... you know that "touching moral of the story" point in sitcoms where the music plays? 

Cue music.

(kidding)
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2008, 11:37 am »
I still think it is a vital discussion to have, and I stand by my postings.  I just don't want to get dragged into some sort of personal argument either on the board on via private messages or e-mail on the topic.

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Trevor7

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2008, 01:42 pm »
I agree that your discussion was valid, I didn't want to argue but just discuss the other side of the argument.  I agree that many employers do use facebook to look up people before they hire them,  I just think that references are a better way to do this then facebook.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:47 pm »
No apologies needed from anyone.  I just felt the conversation was sliding away from the origional topic, and any point I wanted to make had been made.  We were getting into circular arguements.  I also forget, at times, that the age/experience levels, as well as attitude about the job vary so much here - which is what makes these boards very exciting, and keep me active in them.  What makes this career so interesting is that you can approach the job from so many different directions, have so many different styles, and varying philosophies, and still be successful.  Arguments and disagreements are bound to happen (and to be looked forward to). 

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:22 pm »
Though this is a sticky topic, there's an interesting article on CNN...

LisaS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2009, 06:26 pm »
The article also failed to mention one of my favorite Facebook features, the limited profile.  I like the option of not having to worry about the awkwardness of not friending someone who I "should" friend, but I also don't have to worry about them seeing anything of any real substance.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:24 am »
I can't figure out the limited profile thing on the "new" facebook.... :(
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

LisaS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:37 pm »
Instructions are somewhere in the "help" section of the site.  I haven't had to use it since the change over, so I can't be too helpful on specifics.

Libby

« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:40 pm »
Upper right hand corner. Under settings.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2009, 04:59 pm »
Upper right hand corner. Under settings.

You've given me as much info. as I already know! :)
I think I will figure it out further. The Old Version of Facebook, I think it was a bit easier.

It's okay, though.  As of right now, I don't have anything to limit or hide. 

~ Amie ~

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:07 pm »
As a college student who (regrettably) spends a lot of time on Facebook (trying SO hard to break this habit :-\)......

When someone sends a friend request, one of the options when you go to accept or decline is to add that person to a 'friend group'.  The dropdown menu has a "Limited Profile" option. I don't know how to switch someone to "Limited Profile" when they're already your friend, but that's how you do it when they add you.

To edit what is shown in your Limited Profile, go to settings->privacy->profile, and there are controls for who can see what on that page.

Hope this helps!
[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette