Author Topic: Tricky Interview  (Read 3749 times)

Catastrophyc

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Brevard Music Center - Chamber Series SM
  • Experience: Professional
Tricky Interview
« on: Apr 15, 2013, 03:32 pm »
Hello all,

I am currently working on finding jobs for after I graduate. I was lucky enough to get a phone interview with a company in NYC. Overall, I think I did pretty well with it, except for one part. My interviewer remind me that living in the city is expensive. I told her that I think it would be worth it and that it's a challenge I could deal with. To which her response was, "Yes, but saying you can live in New York and doing it are two entirely different things."

I do not think that she was intending to be abrasive when she said this, but it did come across that way. I also completely understand what she meant, my research had shown that the number one complaint about the position that I am applying for is that it is very difficult to afford the city on the pay. I tried to make the conversation seque to something else at this point, but I know I did not win her over on this particular subject.

The main point that I'm trying to get to here is, what is better way to deal with this kind of statement? Have any other SMs experienced something similar in an interview? And how did you deal with it?

Thank you all for your input.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
Re: Tricky Interview
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2013, 04:48 pm »
From the sound of things it sounds like you addressed the issue correctly - you said you were aware of it and you knew it was a challenge you had to handle. That she answered back abrasively likely has nothing to do with your response, just that she's probably heard it before from previous employees who later found it difficult.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2013, 06:51 pm »
Maybe it was the tone in which the interviewer responded, but that statement just seems like a reinforcement of the fact, NYC is expensive.

I have a hunch this person has received many complaints from previous people who might have held this position or other positions at this pay grade, and want to underline the fact it will be a challenge to live in NYC on such a salary.  They want to be able to say when you come back into their office to complain about the pay during the course of the job, they can remind you they warned you.  I think that perhaps young, starry-eyed stage managers are so eager to land in NYC with a job, they want to protect themselves.

But I may biased, mostly because “Yes, but saying you can live in New York and doing it are two entirely different things.” Seems like an understatement to me.

I think you handled it the best way you know how.  And remember, part of a good interviewer's job is to try to throw you off balance, get you off your rehearsed speech, and get to know you.  This may have been a curve ball.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

MandalynM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My professional website
  • Affiliations: SETC
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager: Brecksville Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2013, 07:53 pm »
After I graduated from undergrad, I went to New York and worked on a show. Before the show ended, I started interviewing for jobs (theatre and not theatre) Every manager who I interviewed with talked about the expenses. I agree with dallas10086, Im sure they have had issues in the past with losing employees due to financial reasons. After those interviews, I decided to go back home to Ohio. They were right, I didnt have the money to stay even with the job offers. If you are confident in staying there, then you handled it very well. Good luck with interviews!

Mandi

Catastrophyc

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Brevard Music Center - Chamber Series SM
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2013, 09:48 am »
Maybe it was the tone in which the interviewer responded, but that statement just seems like a reinforcement of the fact, NYC is expensive.

It was purely the tone that threw me off. Like I said, I completely understand why she brought up this issue, and she was very helpful in providing tips of how a young professional could start out in NYC.

Thank you all for your input. It makes me feel better, and hopefully more prepared for the next interview.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2013, 11:54 pm »
I will say that I, too, have mentioned cost of living expenses as an issue to applicants. I tend to post intern and PA work on backstagejobs.com and I get Stage Managers applying from all over the US. I have yet to bring it up over the phone, but I do tell those that live out of state via email, as stated in my job posting, housing is not provided and with their compensation, they would not be able to afford rental housing in the area.

I then ask them to email me back if they are serious and are able to secure their own housing (generally with family/friends), then I will schedule an interview.  It's not meant to sound harsh, but just realistic. I would hate for someone to come out here and not be able to feed themselves, or sleep in their car.