Author Topic: Dear Abby Post: Can I hold on accepting an offer?  (Read 5823 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 1354
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Dear Abby Post: Can I hold on accepting an offer?
« on: Feb 29, 2008, 02:08 pm »
The following has been posted on behalf of a member who would like to remain anonymous.

I need some advice. If you have applied for numerous positions for summerstock or a seasonal position, and you feel that you might get a position early before many other places make a final decision, is it okay to inform the theatre/production company that you are still looking into other offers? I say this because the other positions you may have applied for might be in better location and/or payed better. What is the best way to go about this? Should I wait for a better offer? Or, should I take the first thing that has come to me?


  • Superstar!
  • *****
  • Posts: 528
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Dear Abby Post: Can I hold on accepting an offer?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2008, 02:15 pm »
If you have a reasonable knowledge of when another offer will be coming your way, you can tell the first company that you have "open conversations" with a couple other companies and would appreciate x amount of time to make your decision.

But be careful, you don't want to leave them hanging too long.

Scott (formerly Digga)

  • Permanent Resident
  • *****
  • Posts: 230
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Dear Abby Post: Can I hold on accepting an offer?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2008, 04:18 pm »
Another option - though unpopular with theatres -  is the MRE (More Remunerative Employment) meaning that you can accept the job offer you have now - but if a better job with more money comes along - according to most AEA Rules you are allowed to back out of the current contract for the MRE. 

I've never tried this method but I've been in situations where an MRE was offered to me while I was already working but chose to turn it down at the time.  Many regional theatres understand this rule and accept it, especially if you can give them enough notice to find a replacement. 

It's been my understanding that many lower paying jobs and contracts will make offers well in advance to try to lock people up because they also know the chance of losing them to a higher paying job is great.  Whereas the higher paying jobs will take longer because they often have more applicants to sort through and also know they are offering enough money so that people will generally not turn them down when an offer comes.

Does this make any sense?


  • Forum Moderators
  • *****
  • Posts: 962
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Dear Abby Post: Can I hold on accepting an offer?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2008, 04:34 pm »
Another option would be to speak with the folks at theatre X where you have applied and explain that you are currently evaluating your options and need a bit of time to think things over.  You don't have to tell them you're waiting for other offers or provide any details, it's perfectly acceptable to take some time to weigh your options.  Ask them when they need a response to their offer.  This way everything is on the up and up and both parties are clear on the expectations, and most importantly they won't be left hanging and become frustrated wtih you if you decline the offer.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt


Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post Jan 15, 2008, 09:07 pm
by PSMKay
4 Replies
Last post Jun 12, 2008, 10:17 pm
by Celeste_SM
5 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 05:26 pm
by chops