Author Topic: Dear Abby: How can I discreetly put myself on the market?  (Read 4089 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
SMNetwork moderators sometimes receive questions from members who wish to remain anonymous, but still need the support of the community.  We post these on their behalf as "Dear Abby" questions.

I have been steadily working with Theater X for 2yrs. In between seasons   there, I've done some work with various companies in the city. They all   know that my main job is SM at Theater X. However, I have grown   restless and feel I have outgrown the theater and want to jump into   freelancing. (Theater X and I have no bad blood, and they have mentioned   writing my recommendation letters or anything else I need.) Is there a   tactful (not tacky) way to contact former employers/coworkers and let   them know I am going freelance, and see if they have any   jobs/connections available? I want to work with the connections I have,   but I know many of them think of me as Theater X's full time employee   and assume I'm not available for jobs. I also don't want to look   desperate. Any suggestions?

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Dear Abby: How can I discreetly put myself on the market?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2010, 10:33 pm »
If this were me, after you had your first freelance gig lined up, give notice to Theatre X. Then, with permission, I would write a formal letter/email to production staff (PSM, Artistic Director, etc) stating what a great experience you've had there, etc etc, but that you feel it is time to expand yourself and work on a freelance basis (also that you would have no problems doing just that for Theatre X should they have need). This will start the positive word getting out that you're available and hopefully the word will spread.

Write another formal letter/email saying basically the same thing you told Theatre X, and send them to anyone in your contact list that you think will either hire you or would know someone who would hire you. Attach your resume so they don't have to ask for it. Tell them to feel free to pass the email along to whomever is interested. If you have Facebook, put a shorter version in your status update; do whatever on Twitter; post another update on LinkedIn (if you have one, if not - set it up!). Always have a positive vibe to the message, and you should get some interest.

Good luck!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2010, 11:30 pm »
The main thing is make sure you clear up any existing commitments and leave things in very good order - let your immediate supervisor know that you are considering expanding your horizons via freelancing and try to give as much notice as you possibly can.

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2010, 02:25 am »
I think I might start by testing the waters before leaving my current position. You say you have some casual relationships with folks at other houses - that would be a good way to feel around.

However, once you are serious, especially as theater is a much tinier community than any of us can imagine (esp in the same city), it would be wise to let your current place know that much as you love and adore them, you would like to expand your horizons and gain alternative experiences, which will make you a better SM for them as well.

(I had another fairly cogent thought but my brain ate it, sorry - if it comes back I will repost)