Author Topic: Cruise Line Recommendations  (Read 3746 times)

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
Cruise Line Recommendations
« on: Jul 28, 2009, 01:47 pm »
I would really like to work on a cruise ship in the fall and was wondering if any of you can recommend good companies to apply for or ones that should be avoided.  I've been doing some research online and so far Princess, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean are the ones that stood out to me. 

Any other advice about cruise line work overall?  I'm interested in more of a general stagehand position than SMing because I want to build up my technical experience (specifically in lighting) but don't have enough knowledge yet to apply for an electrics only job. 

Thanks!

Melissitchka

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • brokeGIRLrich
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Current Gig: SM/LD
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Cruise Line Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2009, 06:14 pm »
Hi,

I work for Holland America. From what I hear, they're pretty much the best paying line for tech jobs, although I've heard a lot of really good things about Princess, too - especially if you don't mind sharing a cabin. I've never heard anything good about Carnival and I know a lot of people who I work with now left Royal Caribbean.

You probably won't be able to get a general "stagehand" position because those are usually filled by Filipino's on most lines - they're a lot cheaper to hire than any of us. Cruise ships aren't really a place to go to build up experience, you need to have good grasp on your job there because things are often going to go crazily wrong, while you're at sea and you are the onboard "expert" in your area. That said, working as a stage manager I have built on all my tech skills because I take the time to hang out with each of my technicians while they work on their equipment and ask them to teach me about it. But if I hadn't already known how to stage manage when I started working there, I would've been screwed.

You also need to be prepared to work 7 days a week for months at a time (on the plus side, you do get 1-2 months off at a time between contracts). You'll have to answer to Cruise Directors who often don't have the first clue about running a theater. And like I mentioned before, when things break, you're pretty much on your own - if it can't be fixed by your or your techs, it becomes a big hoopla to get outside contractors onto the ship to fix the equipment and if it's not absolutely show stopping sometimes it takes a while to get anyone there.

You also get to see the world and meet a lot of cool people while working in a theater instead of flipping burgers somewhere.

I hope that helps a little.
Cruise Ship Livin' Perk: A Whole Lot of Travel Stories - http://worldsherpa.wordpress.com/

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2009, 06:01 am »
I work in the cruise industry with most every line you can think of except Carnival.  When I've got some time I'll try to put together a synopsis of each line I know.  Probably won't be able to get it to you until mid August so check back.  I know there are former RCI techs floating around here and probably some others as well, so you should expect some good info in addition to the HAL info above.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2009, 02:08 pm »
Thanks guys!  This helps a lot!!!