Author Topic: Other duties as assigned  (Read 3164 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Other duties as assigned
« on: Mar 27, 2009, 12:21 am »
Anyone who's done contract work has seen the dreaded clause: "... and other duties as assigned."  Most of us have suffered due to its presence, either as interns or freelancers.  (I'm not sure if it's in the union contracts or not.)

What is the worst "other duty" you've slogged through?  Where do you draw the line between a duty and an utterly demeaning task?  Have any of you managed to evade the clause altogether in your non-union contracts? 

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
Re: Other duties as assigned
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2009, 10:52 am »
I have one of those in my contract (in fact everyone on cruise ships tends to have one of those in their contract)... The worst "other duty" I have had to bare was when I had to stand on the gangway for 6 hours greeting guests before going to set up a show, then running it... Especially as I felt that the "other duty" negatively impacted on my primary duty.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
Re: Other duties as assigned
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2009, 11:17 am »
Being told by the producer/director that the SM makes coffee at rehearsals.  This was an AEA contract and I reminded him that "it's not part of my union duties"  but...when asked nicely..not told...I'm more than happy to do it.

riotous