Author Topic: Cover Letters for Tours  (Read 3333 times)

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Cover Letters for Tours
« on: Oct 25, 2012, 10:09 am »
Hello everyone!

I'm almost out of graduate school, and I'm trying to break my way into the touring world. I have shadowed a lot of tours, and I know quite a few people currently working on them, and I really feel that is the right place for me. I have a website and resume, but, I am now trying to figure out cover letters. I'd really appreciate it if anyone had any tips on writing them specifically for these companies and what could make/help me stand out or get myself to the top of the pile. I'm having a couple friends of mine that work for them look over my stuff, but any other help is really appreciated. Thanks!

dsayevich

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega, Omicron Delta Kappa, EMC
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Intern, Mountain Playhouse
Re: Cover Letters for Tours
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2013, 11:51 am »
I was just browsing the forums for the same reason. I'm currently doing the "my contract ends in august" dance and looking for new work for the fall. I thought tours would be a good place to send out my resume. I've done off-broadway and regional work and would love to ASM on a tour to gain more experience. Any suggestions? I'm willing to send someone my resume to give me tips on a good cover letter.
Danielle M. Sayevich
Equity Membership Candidate

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"- Mohandas Gandhi

brettnexx

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Apprentice; Closer Than Ever; Dry Cold Producions
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2013, 12:12 pm »
I've never worked on a tour, and there's not many in Canada (most are American based).

But I would suggest emphasizing the fact that you are willing to travel or relocate. And you could potentially mention the fact that you would love to see the country while working in theatre. But that may just be seen as filler.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2013, 03:22 pm »
I'm not sure where they are in the hiring process or if they need an ASM this year, but you can always look at the Acting Company based in NYC. I worked with them for 2 years and had a blast. Lots of hard work, but you get to a lot of cool places and theaters.