Author Topic: Corporate SM Gigs  (Read 4505 times)

MileHighSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Corporate SM Gigs
« on: Aug 15, 2013, 12:44 pm »
Does anyone know how to break into corporate event SM'ing?  What companies hire and so on?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Corporate SM Gigs
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2013, 09:37 pm »
Hi! I have recently transitioned into more corporate event work. I was referred by a friend, did some overhire/day-of management for smaller events, and was hired on a more full-time basis when a position opened up. Unfortunately this is sort of unhelpful for you, but I would look at event companies and probably venues as well.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2013, 06:12 am »
Most corporate SM's who have a theatre background find the work really un-satisfying... At least over here.

In recent years there has been a large transition away from lights and sets towards video - to the point that on many of our larger events the vision operator will call most of the show - I get dragged out on most of our high-end vision shows to do system design, programming and operating - my past as a Stage Manager has really helped in that respect.

Corporate events tend more towards television style production than theatrical - the SM work is closely related to a floor managers work in a studio. Rustling up the talent, resetting stage, making sure the barrel is in place and filled with tickets and just generally being there to confirm that everything is ready back stage before the production manager tells VX to roll the clip to bring us back from dinner...

If you are currently working theatre and enjoy the planning, organising & design aspects of the job, I would be looking more towards a production manager role than a Stage Manager role - and if that's the case, event production companies are who you want to be talking to.

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2013, 02:35 pm »
I work as an SM for corporate gigs as they fit in between theatre gigs. But I too broke in via a connection. I recommend you start asking around and see if you know someone that knows someone. I found it's hard to break in by directly sending resumes.

Branden

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2013, 12:08 am »
I'll say up front, I've been working for [redacted] since early September, and it has its ups and downs.

It pays well, but it is unlike any Stage Management work you've ever done.

From what I've seen working here, there are twenty or so supervisors with various titles, and when you have any notes or problems during rehearsal, it takes several supervisors and many different channels to get a change or note done or approved.

Also, many times, corporate gigs come with extra tasks. For example, I have to edit all of my actors on the timecard system they use here, which has a steep learning curve.

Also, you'll find that you have a lot of limits. There are many things that I am qualified to do, but I'm not allowed to here.

For example, I'm IATSE certified to run a union house, and I've worked as a TD in a union rental, but if I need to so much as screw something in, I have to call the right people and notify the correct supervisors.

It can be very frustrating.

On the plus side, corporate gigs come with rules that make it rather cushy. For example, I can only work some many hours a day, so if I don't get my report sent out, or my timecard edits done, too bad. And I always have certain breaks and a set schedule.

The best thing about corporate is that your time off is your time off. I'm not even supposed to check emails unless I'm clocked in.

I like the people and the pay, but it's very tough to put everything aside to do this kind of work.

Most corporate places simply post their SM work on their regular employment websites.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2013, 01:34 am by PSMKay »
Branden Scott Stewart

"What's next?"
-The West Wing

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2013, 01:35 am »
Removed company name in prior post. Don't want anyone losing a job.

riotous