Author Topic: Choosing a Show to SM  (Read 3419 times)

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Choosing a Show to SM
« on: Nov 25, 2008, 08:16 am »
My current show (a musical, community theater) runs in February 2009, we're about 3 weeks into rehearsals now. So I'm starting to look for my next show. What do you look for when trying to decide which shows you'd like to work for? I know we can't always get onto the "coolest" or "most tech heavy" show every time. I'm guessing my next show will be a straight play, with not much action happening during the show itself (not much calling). But the experience of helping the rehearsal process go smoothly is very important of course. What else should I be looking for when searching for a show to stage manage? Mike

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Choosing a Show to SM
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2008, 03:32 pm »
It depends - I think early on in your career, it is less about choice and more about where you can find work. That said, early on in your career is a great way to branch out the resume - do the quirky gigs that don't always pay the best, but prove you are versatile.

Straight plays are great, don't get me wrong, and there is tonnes of valuable experiences you can get from them, but the quirky shows can really bring you out from the crowed during an interview - as well as providing great experience in coping with difficult conditions.

geoffsm

• Contributor
  • If we could read minds, we wouldn't need headsets.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (Associate), SAFD (Actor-Combatant)
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2008, 08:28 pm »
More often than not...it comes right down to what I am able to get.  If it's a job, then I can't get too choosy at this point.  When I'm SMing at school, I consider a lot of things. How easy the director is, how close to a professional situation will working with the director be, etc.  I just try to get what is going to give me the most valuable experience.

crazylady

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2008, 08:50 am »
For a little while, it came down to I needed a job and that was that. But then after a couple of gigs where I wasn't very happy, I decided I needed to be more selective. It was hard to be selective, I'm not gonna lie, only because there is always that fear in the back of your head that you will never get hired again and you will have to live in a van down by the river and eat government cheese - wait, i do that already. But anyway, the long and short of it is, because I waited to find a job that i was really happy with and didn't just take a job because it paid me, i am very happy now. I ended up being unemployed for about 2 months. I chose to look at it as vacation time - because really, when do we get a vacation unless we aren't working?

“Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”
                                           - Peter Hall

riotous