Author Topic: ASM vs. PA  (Read 4378 times)

littlelammoth

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
ASM vs. PA
« on: Mar 31, 2013, 07:27 pm »
What is the difference between an Assistant Stage Manager and a Production Assistant?

I'm applying for a PA position and wanted to get a clearer idea of what I should expect. I have worked at theaters that use PAs as 2nd ASMs, but I'm not sure if this is standard operating procedure.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: ASM vs. PA
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2013, 09:25 pm »
There is no "standard" difference.

If you are working in an AEA environment, most of the time the difference will be the ASM will be (most likely) on an AEA contract, and have to abide by those rules, while the PA will not.

As far as specific duties, that will always be left up to the specifics of the organization and the team how the divide the work load.

On Broadway shows, often, there are army of PA's up until open, and then they pull back to just AEA contracts, perhaps keeping one PA for a variety of tasks - but again, it will always depend on the specifics of the show.  In my years in regioanl theater, I uses PA's as a second ASM, and will assign duties to them based on their personal strength. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2013, 11:22 pm »
 Nope, no standard operating procedure that I know of...
It varies from company to company best to do research or ask in an interview if you are not sure.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

Alumni

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2014, 02:42 pm »
I was confused about this too. So they both mean the same thing. That's good to know.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2016, 12:52 pm by Alumni »

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2014, 03:07 pm »
Agreed with what was said above, best to get a job description from the person hiring.

In my experience PAs are free reign helpers across all departments. Usually they are stage management based, but can do anything from pickup lunch orders, do errands for other departments (props, costumes, etc), to be in the general management office dealing with tasks.

Often there is that pesky "other duties as assigned" clause that pops up... best to know what you're getting into and make your limitations clear before you're asked to lug a 50lb suitcase to and from a props house...
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

ambrosialx

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Ambrosia LX and Design Portfolio
  • Affiliations: University of Guelph
  • Current Gig: Production Manager- Roseneath Theatre
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2014, 09:11 am »
It's so different. In the theatres where we've had PAs (which is very few ) they've basically just been workers who are young enough (or lack experience) and so the company feels justified in paying them less than their co-workers for the same job. We had a PA who was a scenic painter and thats what she did but because she was only 2 years out of school and management felt justified in paying her less because of it.
  It all depends I guess
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come"

riotous