Author Topic: ARTICLE: Stupid Things to Put in Your Cover Letter  (Read 3853 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
ARTICLE: Stupid Things to Put in Your Cover Letter
« on: Jul 14, 2011, 12:34 pm »
Again, more geared to hard core business, but a couple of good thoughts....

http://www.wisebread.com/stupid-things-to-put-in-your-cover-letter
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: ARTICLE: Stupid Things to Put in Your Cover Letter
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2011, 05:10 pm »
I really like that last section discussing the "career change". We often discuss as stage managers how well our job skills transfer to various other fields and this article points out how important it is to know how to market ourselves when our resumes may not immediately scream "I'm right for this non-SM job!".

Case in point: I'm currently trying to broaden my career choices by exploring the field of broadcasting and am soon applying for an internship. Although there is a "stage manager" position at many local news stations, it is hard to find the words to prove that being a stage manager for live theatre directly relates to success at directing the local news program, especially when you don't have the journalism, broadcasting or communications degrees traditionally expected. (And any advice on that topic in my mailbox would be greatly appreciated!)
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Re: ARTICLE: Stupid Things to Put in Your Cover Letter
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2011, 05:31 pm »
Case in point: I'm currently trying to broaden my career choices by exploring the field of broadcasting and am soon applying for an internship. Although there is a "stage manager" position at many local news stations, it is hard to find the words to prove that being a stage manager for live theatre directly relates to success at directing the local news program, especially when you don't have the journalism, broadcasting or communications degrees traditionally expected.

Hopefully someone in charge of hiring will be at least somewhat familiar with live theatre and the vital importance of the stage managers work.   When I interviewed for my current "real world" job I found it very difficult to try to explain what a stage manager does, why it's important, and how those skills transfer over to "real world" jobs to the manager who had no interest or knowledge of theatre.