Author Topic: ARTICLE: How to stand out in an interview . .  (Read 4473 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

SMAshlee

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Porchlight Music Theatre
Re: ARTICLE: How to stand out in an interview . .
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2012, 09:03 pm »
I liked the "don't be yourself" part for some reason.  I do feel like when I go into an interview, they are getting the best of the best of me.  Does that make sense?  I obviously want to impress the interviewer and show them that I've done my research, but chances are, I will never wear my only-for-interviews-hurt-my-feet shoes to that office again.  :)

Thanks for the article. 

Ashlee

jcarey

• New to Town
  • Stage Manager and Lifetime Student
    • View Profile
    • James D Carey on LinkedIn
  • Affiliations: UNCSA, USITT
  • Current Gig: BFA Stage Management, UNCSA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2012, 10:46 am »
I always like what Lifehacker has to say. I think these are good points to remember.
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

- Douglas Adams

Maggie K

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2012, 12:05 pm »
I liked the case study about the phone interview.  I have had more interviews that were either completely by phone or the first part was by phone then interviews in person.  I'd love to see more info geared towards those situations.
I like the ephemeral thing about theatre, every performance is like a ghost - it's there and then it's gone. -Maggie Smith

jcarey

• New to Town
  • Stage Manager and Lifetime Student
    • View Profile
    • James D Carey on LinkedIn
  • Affiliations: UNCSA, USITT
  • Current Gig: BFA Stage Management, UNCSA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2012, 02:01 pm »
I liked the case study about the phone interview.  I have had more interviews that were either completely by phone or the first part was by phone then interviews in person.  I'd love to see more info geared towards those situations.

I agree. What I really got out of that is connecting with people through their names. I mean, it's common knowledge that people love hearing their own name, but for some reason I didn't relate that to phone interviews. It's a good idea.
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

- Douglas Adams

riotous