Author Topic: Corporate Events  (Read 2648 times)

MileHighSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Corporate Events
« on: Oct 10, 2012, 03:03 pm »
I'm hoping to expand into corporate events and larger scale things outside of theatre.  Anyone have any suggestions on where I can find jobs like that?  Haven't seen much of that stuff on BackstageJobs, so I'm wondering if there's somewhere else I should be looking.  Thanks friends!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Corporate Events
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2012, 05:01 pm »
These tend to be hugely coveted jobs (often more so then Broadway gigs) because of the money and the relatively little time commitment (i had a friend do 3 weeks in Milan at 5,000 a week - but 3 months planning).  The best is do research into those production companies the produce them in the area you are now, and get your feet wet - they aren't for everyone.  Also, this is one of those areas where having a tie with an agent or agency helps, and there are production groups (directors, choreographers, stage mangers, designers) that travel in packs. 

But again, almost all regions have one or two of production companies that do industrials / corporate events.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Corporate Events
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2012, 10:08 pm »
Everyone I know (myself included) that has done these jobs has gotten them through connections.

Where do you live?  You can always look up events companies in your area and submit your resume to them even if they are not advertising. 

Certainly if you already know someone in the industry, pick their brain for tips and a possible job recommendation.

Be warned, some events are fun and awesome to work on (fashion shows and gala events with fun MCs and performers).  Other events are truly torture to do (trade shows, hair shows, boring corporate meetings).

The money is great.  But the pressure is ON. There's a lot of pre-prep but usually limited prep in the space, often no formal rehearsal and high maintenance clients.

riotous