Author Topic: Dear Abby: Problems with an Overloaded, Slacker PM  (Read 3412 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Dear Abby: Problems with an Overloaded, Slacker PM
« on: Jun 17, 2014, 03:02 am »
"Dear Abby" posts are from members of the site need advice but want to remain anonymous. They can send their questions via private message to a staff member, who will post the message on their behalf.

===============

Dear Abby,

I'm having trouble with dealing with a production manager.

I am working with a small company who puts a lot of the work on the production manager. The production manager has been working with the company for about 5 years so he is familiar with how they work. This is a project that has been in workshops for a couple of months with a previous stage manager.

My problem is that he tends to leave his duties incomplete. This predates my hiring. For example, not getting budgets to designers, not getting contracts to the designers in time, not informing the director that I had been hired or that we were lacking a member of the creative team until 2 weeks before first rehearsal. There's some animosity towards the PM from the director and the designers, and I can't say I disagree with their feelings. I signed a contract months in advance and kept e-mailing him about needing to get involved early. He introduced me to the director and filled me in on production details 5 days before first rehearsal. I was left scrambling to play catch up and prep.

This company's budget does not allow for a stage management budget, so I cannot make copies of scripts and get supplies. I have to request them if need be. So I would request ahead of time. Nothing I requested from the production manager was prepared for first rehearsal.

Once rehearsals began, the info coming from the rehearsal room didn't match what I'd heard from the PM. I was learning of actor conflicts, unexpected AEA contracts, new dates of rehearsal and tech - not minor things. When I seemed surprised, the response I got was, "Didn't the production manager tell you?"

I have been asking for copies of new scenes and supplies needed for about a week, and nothing on his end has been done. Designers, the Director, and the Actors also have been requesting things that are not getting done. We have voiced these requests in reports, e-mails, phone calls, and production meetings. The production manager will say it will get done in by a certain specified and reasonable date, but does not come through. Rehearsals are suffering because we don't have the tools, people, or information we need. Some of the actors are taking out their frustration on stage management thinking we're to blame.

I brought up the situation with another stage manager who has worked with this company before. She has said that going over his head was not effective as his supervisor's approach is a simple "Do this" without follow up. It doesn't guarantee results and doesn't prevent him from dropping the next ball. The PM has 2 assistants, but they are new and he doesn't delegate anything to them.

What can I do to get the things I need in order to create a more comfortable atmosphere in rehearsal and, at the end, get things done?

Signed,
Frustrated-and-Done-With-It

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
Re: Dear Abby: Problems with an Overloaded, Slacker PM
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2014, 11:16 am »
Regardless of previous concerns voiced by a prior SM, I would take my concerns up the hierarchy chain until someone takes action, allowing a reasonable amount of time for the situation to be dealt with. Sounds like the design team and Director are on board: Are they willing to also voice concerns up the ladder? 

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
Re: Dear Abby: Problems with an Overloaded, Slacker PM
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2014, 12:30 am »
FADWI has responded:

We had a production meeting yesterday, and most of the designers' questions were answered except for sound. There was still a lot of questions left to be answered, but since some of the questions were answered, a lot of the designers felt that this was a bump in the road. "No need for further action." or "Things are looking up." (I am anticipating the same cycle from the PM once we get closer to tech.)

When I voiced concern over the list of stage management tasks that needed to be completed, I was answered with the same answer I always get: "I will get back to you soon."

The director is at a point where she thinks nothing will change, and although this is her first production with the company, she also thinks that this happens all the time.

Unfortunately, a lot of tasks that need to be completed for stage management are still left undone.

riotous