Author Topic: Applying for AEA Positions W/O Being AEA  (Read 4686 times)

XanderQCall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, My Old Lady, Kansas City Actors Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Applying for AEA Positions W/O Being AEA
« on: May 22, 2014, 03:45 pm »
Please forgive me is this seems like a silly question but I am curious about if anyone has ever applied for an AEA position without actually being AEA? I have gathered from some of the "How I Got My Card" threads that the trend is just working your way up at a theatre to the point where they decide to put you on an AEA contract. My apologies if this is just a crazy thing to inquire about. Thank you!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Applying for AEA Positions W/O Being AEA
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 05:26 pm »
Lot's of people get their card by being offered a show.  There are few contracts that require prior union employment (or a waiver by AEA).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

LisaS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 01:22 am »
I applied to quite a few of them and that's how I got my card last year.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 01:02 pm »
Thank you for asking (and thank you to those that answered), because I've wondered the same thing!

BenTheStageMan

• Contributor
  • Sometimes all you need in life is a little Blue.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Olney Theatre Center, Olney MD
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 02:08 pm »
Followup question: should one mention their AEA status in the cover letter?  Admit to not being AEA but say you're willing to turn? Not mention it at all and hope they don't notice you're not a member yet? Pros and cons there? Especially if a listing asks for AEA SMs and you don't want them to think you just didn't read the posting?
"Show people are doomed!  Doomed to a life of booze...and pills...and heavy meals late at night!" -Judy, "Ruthless!"

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 02:45 pm »
Well it should be stated on your resume if you are a member of AEA (I can't think of any resume I've seen from an Equity member who didn't have it right by their name).  I would say highlight in your cover letter any experience or qualities you have that makes you feel you are ready to join the union (I've worked on X# of productions as a PA at a LORT theatre; I've worked as a stage manager with Equity actors working under a guest artist contract; I've been working for X# of productions as a stage manager under one of the sister unions like AGMA or AGVA; things like that).

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 06:04 pm »
I would point out, as long as you don't say you are AEA on the resume, I don't think you need to point out that you AREN'T AEA. 

This gets into weird HR rules that vary from state to state - but I know at some theaters I have worked at - I was not allowed to ask about union status for union jobs (Although I could point out a position would be AEA or not AEA.)

Now a savy person hiring will be able to figure out - as long as you are not lying or   "fudging" on your resume - such as listing yourself as ASM in AEA House, when you really where a PA. 

If someone asks if you are AEA, and your aren't . . . then be prepared for why you think this is the right job to take the next step in your career.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous