Author Topic: "What Not To Post": Job Listing edition  (Read 7750 times)

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
"What Not To Post": Job Listing edition
« on: Mar 23, 2015, 11:17 pm »
While I don't really apply for SM positions through job search websites anymore, I still look at them regularly, mostly to see who is hiring for what, auditions, creative personnel, etc.  I came across a doozy of a posting today, and thought I would share.  Not because I know anything about this company or their history, but to me, it's like an episode of the TLC show "What Not to Wear."  An excellent example of what not to do when seeking qualified employees. 

http://playbill.com/jobs/job_detail/344844

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: "What Not To Post": Job Listing edition
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2015, 02:42 am »
Hiring a SM is hard, obviously done by someone who doesn't it do that often, or had a very specific history they were trying to avoid.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:32 am »
I also saw this post, this morning. I found it quite off-putting as well.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2015, 11:14 am »
I agree with Matt. It sounds like they have gotten burned in the past.  What they focused on was interesting: nearly 11 paragraphs on what stage manager they are looking for, and one confusing paragraph about the season.
And then out of the four they will choose one to be the PSM. I guess they will do it Hunger Games style.

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2015, 11:22 am »
And all at GA1. Looks like they just did a copy/paste from one of the rulebooks.

SMAshlee

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Porchlight Music Theatre
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2015, 12:36 pm »
I guess they will do it Hunger Games style.

Ha! Yes, I agree, it's a bit off-putting and does sound like they got burned at one point. But I'm intrigued... I'll let you know if it turns out Hunger Game style or not. :)

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
Re: \"What Not To Post\": Job Listing edition
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2015, 02:17 pm »
I've sent an inquiry to Equity, asking whether this company can require the Stage Managers they hire to have their own vehicles.  I'll update, here, if I get a reply.

And here's the answer from the Business Rep. in charge of Guest Artist contracts in the Eastern Region:  "I spoke with the theater this morning to let them know that owning a vehicle cannot be a requirement for employment."

Post Merge: Mar 24, 2015, 08:15 pm
Here's a link to the The Mirror website. it seems they are in the process of breaking ground on their new $15 million dollar facility. http://www.mirrorarts.org/#the-mirror

Here's a link to their leadership page. One of these people may have composed the ad: http://www.mirrorarts.org/leadership

(I wonder what their reaction would have been when I answered their question about "what you include in your stage manager’s kit" by saying "I show up with my stopwatch, favorite pencil, and erasers. You, the producer, supply everything else....")

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2015, 08:15 pm by RuthNY »
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
Re: \"What Not To Post\": Job Listing edition
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2015, 12:03 am »
(I wonder what their reaction would have been when I answered their question about "what you include in your stage manager’s kit" by saying "I show up with my stopwatch, favorite pencil, and erasers. You, the producer, supply everything else....")

I'm curious to that as well, since that would have been very similar to my response (I'm a stage manager, not an office supply store).

And thanks to reaching out to Equity and informing them about the vehicle situation.  Not that I was going to apply (as I've got my summer work lined up now), but that was one of several things that made me go "really?" when reading through that posting.

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:36 pm »
"Candidates must also have a B.F.A. in the theatrical arts (technical focus strongly preferred), and at least three years of professional experience."

They are just shooting themselves in the foot over and over again in this listing. Hm, so a Theatre BA with 7 years of experience couldn't hack it? Gracious. Like basically everyone else has said, they must not have a lot of hiring experience.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2015, 12:42 am »
I guess my MFA wouldn't count?

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2015, 11:38 am »
Just to play devil's advocate, it is possible that they have a strong candidate (possibly internal) for the position but are required to post it anyway.  By being ultra-specific with requirements they may be trying to narrow the applications so only the preferred person meets the bill. 
Should they do this is a different question, but it is possible that it is a very experienced hirer trying to work the system to best meet their needs.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2015, 03:12 pm »
I'm not sure who would require them to post it. As far as I know, AEA does not require interviews for SM candidates- though I know they sometimes have short interviews at EPAs, advertised on the audition listings.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2015, 07:27 am »
Some companies, especially those tied with colleges or government venues, must publicly post all jobs.

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:59 am »
in terms of the degree, in CA you have to have an MFA to teach at the community college level, so that may be a local hiring requirement. And, well, it looks like the job description is lifted from an AEA agreement. Which, in and of itself, is quite curious....

riotous