Poll

Which is the better social media tool?

Hootsuite
6 (21.4%)
LinkedIn
22 (78.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: SOCIAL, Round 4: Hootsuite vs. LinkedIn  (Read 7115 times)

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
SOCIAL, Round 4: Hootsuite vs. LinkedIn
« on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:00 am »
Overwhelmed by your many social media apps? Need a way to keep them straight? Hootsuite is the one app to rule them all. This handy platform aggregates your various social media feeds into one place. Post, tweet, share, and comment without leaving Hootsuite, and schedule future posts. Looking to improve your brand identity? Use Hootsuite to up your social profile and connect with all your social channels.

LinkedIn is the (heretofore) uncontested champion of professional social networking, connecting you with the theatre community-at-large. A solid, longstanding leader in the professional realm, LinkedIn allows to you to post your experience, connect with past, present, and future colleagues, as well as search posted jobs for your next gig. Will this industry giant be able to hold their ground against a younger, more diverse Hootsuite team?

The winner of this match has the unenviable position of squaring off against the only undefeated competitor in this tournament, SMNetwork. Cast your vote now!

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
Re: SOCIAL, Round 4: Hootsuite vs. LinkedIn
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:54 am »
Wow......this is shocking to me. LinkedIn has always seemed completely worthless. Has anyone every gotten anything out of LinkedIn other than a cleaner version of Facebook with less pictures and more boring information?

Maribeth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:10 pm »
Well, LinkedIn does have the advantage of being much more widely known. I confess that I had to do a little research on Hootsuite before this competition- I'd never come across it before. And, Hootsuite seems best suited for someone who has a lot of social media feeds to keep track of. If you don't have that, I'm not sure how useful you'd find it.

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:50 pm »
In my world of freelance stage management, LinkedIn is of little value. I mean, I have one, but I certainly don't get jobs from it. Facebook has been a far better networking tool for me!

That said, I almost never use twitter, and definitely don't use it in a professional sense. Even so, I'm voting Hootsuite, simply because I can see greater value in it even if that value doesn't pertain to me specifically.

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:02 pm »
LinkedIn has been a little useful for me as a research tool- as in, I google "theatre name production assistant" and sometimes LinkedIn profiles pop up. I can see what their experience level is like to PA/ASM/etc at this place, can I do it right out of school? after I do a couple off-off-broadway shows? It helps me find a baseline.

riotous