Poll

Which is the better tool?

Paper
24 (51.1%)
Laptop
23 (48.9%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: Jan 05, 2013, 10:23 pm

Author Topic: December Madness Finals: Paper vs Laptop  (Read 46551 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: December Madness Finals: Paper vs Laptop
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2012, 01:16 am »
That's correct. The Laptop (in theory) needs at least power and software. Paper (in theory) needs some means of applying ink, although one could argue that there are some uses for blank paper. Both require input from humans to reach their maximum potential, as is the case with nearly all of the tools in the competition. Perhaps this is a question of comparative potential?

"Better" is a deliberately vague word choice.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2012, 09:21 am »
If laptop loses, I expect to see a decrease in activity as people snail mail their posts to Kay

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2012, 02:12 pm »
So we've agreed that we're voting for either laptop-but-just-laptop or paper-but-just-paper?

In other words, a choice between doorstops and origami.

Can I have cell phone back?

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2012, 03:59 pm »
None of these tools is useful on it's own. All of them require additional items. I will grant paper and some means of applying ink, and laptop with electricity and software. These are all items to be found in a theater or the stage manager can provide them. However, internet access is still not all-pervasive and, short of tethering, not really something you can BYO. Therefore, I'm benching internet from team laptop.

Skulking

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2012, 04:30 pm »
I feel like we are looking at this incorrectly.  The contestants are paper and laptop.  While the original December Madness thread states we are voting on what the ultimate SM symbol is, I can't find anywhere we are given specific criteria beyond "favorite".  To me, if we are looking at these as tools then we should really be judging them by what they enable us to do that we wouldn't otherwise be able to do, and what they allow us to do in an easier way, that is after all what tools do.  Tools are only useful given the right circumstances, and the decision you have to make when you cast your vote in this match is to me a simple one.  Which tool is going to be the better tool for the circumstances you find in a production more often?  There is a right answer, but that right answer is only the right answer for your experience and preferences.  This poll should be interesting to tell us how evenly divided the SM community is on the current role of technology in stage management. 

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2012, 04:47 pm »
This poll should be interesting to tell us how evenly divided the SM community is on the current role of technology in stage management. 

I voted for paper - don't get me wrong, I love my technology. But at the present juncture, it would be impossible for me to run a show without paper. I could do it without a laptop (as long as I had access to some other sort of computer, or at the very least my smartphone).

I'm really not surprised to see it split exactly 50/50 right now!

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2012, 05:40 pm »
I could do it without a laptop (as long as I had access to some other sort of computer, or at the very least my smartphone).

Interesting. I took laptop to mean 'computer' whether portable or not. Kay, can you make a judge's ruling? And if it's just laptop as a portable computer, I'd like to change my vote!

C

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2012, 05:59 pm »
Laptop: a portable, usually battery-powered microcomputer small enough to rest on the user's lap. (source: dictionary.com)

Not tablet, not desktop.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:55 pm »
So we've agreed that we're voting for either laptop-but-just-laptop or paper-but-just-paper?

In other words, a choice between doorstops and origami.

Can I have cell phone back?

I often make origami flowers with used post-it notes from rehearsal.  It's relaxing and it is guaranteed to make someone smile.

StageSerenity

• New to Town
  • I guess all roads DO lead to the SM booth...
    • View Profile
    • My Journey Through Life With Theatre
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2012, 11:22 pm »
I have done paperless shows... interesting process.
I have NEVER done a show without my laptop in some shape or form.

Laptop wins. 8)
Grant me the **Serenity**
to accept the things that I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the Wisdom to hide those people...

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2012, 11:33 pm »
As the last time I did any stage management was 2003, I did more shows without laptop than with. Most of the theaters I worked had dial up internet connections, if any at all, and wifi was in a very early form if it existed at all. Smartphones didn't exist yet. There were laptops in the rehearsal room (without internet) as early as 1998, and although I owned one around that time I didn't bring it to rehearsal with me as I didn't want to risk it getting swiped on the train.

In fact, if laptops had been prevalent and affordable when I was still doing theater this site would not exist at all. I created this site so I could download my forms from a central server regardless of my location.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:02 pm »
I have done paperless shows... interesting process.
I have NEVER done a show without my laptop in some shape or form.

Laptop wins. 8)

I have done laptop-less shows... pretty regular process.
I have NEVER done a show without paper in some shape or form.

Paper wins. 8)

GalFriday

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
  • Current Gig: Programmer for Hire
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2013, 01:26 am »
Wait, wait, wait....seriously. We are going to define laptop as only laptops...not desktop...not tablet....no internet....

Should we not put paper through such a scrupulous vetting process....Paper is so general. Who is this paper, what do we know about it?? Paper - only letter, not legal, Not A4. No post it notes, or legal pads. Can we count paper with punch hole accessories...or photocopied paper? I think paper in all it's different forms is very suspicious....and I suspect it has many friends in high places....who just want us to forget how many different places it comes from (I mean really recycled paper....that is just a cornucopia of unknowns)

(It is not a perfect argument....but the champagne says it makes sense)

And of course I can find internet....That guy linksys...he just offers free internet everywhere. Nicest guy ever.

PSATW!!!

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2013, 01:28 am by GalFriday »
"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" - Stephen Sondheim

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:55 pm »
I'm fine with it just being plain ole laptop we're judging, but tools are judged on what they help us to do. Accessing the Internet is one of the things laptops do, making origami is one of the things paper helps us to do, so shouldn't tools be judged on this? Basically if it was Laptop + Internet vs. paper + Internet I would choose laptop obviously, but even if it was paper and pen vs. laptop and pen, I would still choose laptop because I could throw the pen away and still get a million more things done with my laptop. Paper is great and useful and I would struggle to do a production without it, but its just not a better tool, it is good at what it does and we need it but laptops are more versatile,  safer to use for storing information and documents, they are always updating and changing to become more useful, they have benefits we haven't even discovered or perfected yet, can you say the same about paper?
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:18 pm »
I'm in an interesting situation right now where I'm in preproduction for an opera where I don't have my paper score yet. I have a pdf and a recording. I am able to do my whole job on my laptop, whereas even if I had just the paper score, I wouldn't be able to accomplish everything I need to do with timings and notations etc without some other form of technology.

My laptop is able to be so multifunctional with audio features and my note taking that I will be able to take all of my work from Pennsylvania to Alaska with me all in one device (backed up in the cloud of course!). If it was paper alone I would be stuck without all the tools I need.

Don't get me wrong- I would hate to do a paperless show. But I would hate it even more if I didn't have my laptop.

riotous