Poll

Which is the better tool?

Screw Gun/Impact Driver
17 (39.5%)
Multi Hole Punch
26 (60.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: Dec 12, 2012, 01:35 am

Author Topic: Commercial, Round 3: Screw Gun vs Three Hole Punch  (Read 3120 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Commercial, Round 3: Screw Gun vs Three Hole Punch
« on: Dec 08, 2012, 01:35 am »
One is pricey, durable and a backstage tech's MVP on the graduation gift list. The other is a cheap and cheerful presence on the tech table and partners with troubled Round 1 winner Binder. Both players do one absolutely necessary job very efficiently, both are noisy, and double as weapons in a pinch. Both can cause utter havoc if not properly tended.

In the pre-game this Commercial League match was picked as one to watch and even with Binder's weak performance in Round 1 it still has the potential to be a nail-biter. The screw gun, while typically the province of carpenters, is no stranger to stage manager hands and I'd reckon that most of the members of the site have not only used them often, but have formed strong opinions as to favorite brands, sizes, corded or cordless style, and even motor speed. Even some scene changes cannot be completed without the assistance of the screw gun, meaning that even if we don't touch the thing, it's necessary for the job to get done.

Meanwhile, as long as there are binders there will be the need for three hole punches, or multi-hole punches depending on the size of paper and style of binder most common in your country. Recent upstart paper products may require special punches of their own, but considering the streak of traditionalism that shoots deeply through many stage managers one could comfortably say that the three hole punch has earned pride of place at the right hand of the SM. The multi-hole punch pulls out an extra bit of utility by quickly creating glow-tape dots.

Both are powerful figures but only one will go on to the sweet sixteen. We'll know when the poll closes on Tuesday at noon CST. Game on!
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2012, 01:53 am by PSMKay »

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Commercial, Round 3: Screw Gun vs Three Hole Punch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2012, 02:09 am »
Although I do have a couple of screw guns in case they are needed in an emergency, but for my daily uses I find a 3-hold punch is essential. As I go more digital that is becoming less true, but at this point in time I still keep paper copies of reports, contracts, groundplans, etc.

I subscribe to the 3 hole punch both right and left scripts sides for versatility. Anyone else?
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Commercial, Round 3: Screw Gun vs Three Hole Punch
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2012, 05:43 pm »

I subscribe to the 3 hole punch both right and left scripts sides for versatility. Anyone else?

Absolutely. Though I find I rarely switch the holes back. I get so used to having the text on the left side, that I've developed a way of putting my cues into my book that lets it stay that way. For shows with large sequences of cues especially, I like having the entire blank right page free to write them out.

riotous