Author Topic: Yale.  (Read 14774 times)

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
Yale.
« on: Feb 26, 2007, 02:34 pm »
Ok so... my advisor is really really pushing me to apply to Yale for their MFA in Stage Management program.  She says that I have more than a chance to get in...and although I'm not really that confident, it has peaked my interest quite a bit.  I've been looking at U/RTA schools more than anything else; however... does anyone know anything about the Yale School of Drama/MFA program in Stage Management besides the information they provide online or in their mailings?  I'm sick of reading all of this stuff that every college says in every bulletin or brochure about their program.. I'm really interested in some real facts and/or thoughts about their program.  Some people (here at least) have a running joke about "Yale-ies" and how the people there are extremely snobby and blah de blah blah.. so I'd just really like to see what everyone thinks.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Yale.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2007, 12:29 pm »

If you get into and attend Yale Drama School,, you will greatly increase the odds of getting a job when you graduate.  I don't believe this is true of any other program.

« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2007, 12:31 pm by Scott »

nmno

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2007, 01:28 pm »
I know I few people who went to the Yale Sch of Drama (a couple SMs, a couple TDs, a couple playwrights).  They are speak positively of their experience there...  As far as the "Yale-ies", one of the playwrights I worked with did have a little sense of entitlement, but I get the feeling he'd be that way regardless (and still not "Yale-ie", just an ass)...  The other folks I know are all great, down to earth people and not at all the Ivy League stereotype.

As to Scott's comment, I think it goes beyond reputation of the school.  It seems the school continues to take interest in the success of their students long beyond graduation.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2007, 01:34 pm »
Yale is a very good program, but make sure to try to take a recent graduate and, if possible, a current student.  When I was applying, and accepted to Yale, I was hesitent to accept based on the fact, at the time, they were very hesitent to give me names and contact information.  I really didn't get a STUDENT'S perspective, as opposed to other programs where eager to get me in contact with both graduates and students.

The only reason I chose UC San Diego over Yale was money.  Which is a concern - how much debt do you want upon graduation?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2007, 02:35 pm »
Yes, I have definitely thought about the money situation and what I would be paying off over time.  Luckily I had a scholarship all 4 years of undergrad, so the only debt I will have to pay off is grad school.

Matthew, if I may ask, what was your academic status and SM experience upon applying to the school?  And do you think that you and I could talk away from the forum further in pm or email? As I mentioned, my advisor says that she thinks I will have no problem, but I'm nervous about getting into a grad school period, not to mention Yale. I've been looking at grad school since I entered undergrad and have done more than my fair share of research, and now is the time where I really need to start narrowing down my options.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

Daz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Random Ramblings
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2007, 12:18 am »
So randomly a recent graduate from Yale's MFA SM program just came and talked to the SMs here at 'Cuse and he was raving about it and had a lot of our seniors thinking of applying to Yale.  One of the most positive things he had to say about it was the contacts and just the support system you get from it being Yale. 
He really enjoyed it.
Other than that, I don't have anything constructive to say.
*Aude Sapere*
*Nosce te Ipsum*

If I could read your mind, I wouldn't need the headset

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2007, 12:23 am »
A professor and big time mentor of mine went to Yale for both undergrad and to the drama school.

I had thought about applying and when I asked him about it he said that if you have a strong base from your undergrad program that in all honestly you will get more experience from working then from the grad school. What YSD does do for you, like most people here have said, is give you contacts, but in his opinion that is really all they do.

That's his opinion, and I don't mean to belittle anyone here, but I took his advice and didn't apply. I have a BA in tech and have never had a problem finding work.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

LisaEllis

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2007, 01:20 pm »
Yeah for the non MFA crowd!

If you had a good bachelors, there is no reason not to be working.

I knew a girl once who, after a professional internship where we didn't think highly of her performance, was accepted to Yale and really thrilled about it.  She said she was one of the top 10 in the country.  I think it's the top 10 who couldn't get work.  Catty, I know, but she certainly wasn't going to get help from us...

Some people believe strongly in the power of a Master's Degree...any school.  I just don't.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2007, 12:22 am »
The only reasons I've ever considered going for an MFA was to be able to teach.  Otherwise the BA and/or experience is much better for just working. 

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:27 pm »
Yale is Mecca for theatre tech.  There are a lot of great schools out there, but Yale is ... well, Yale.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2007, 10:21 pm »
That's PER YEAR.  You really want to wrack up that debt and go into theatre?  Just something to consider. You aren't walking into a 100k/year starter law job.

Lets revise that,
You aren't walking into a 100k/year theatre job period.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2007, 07:52 am »
Another thing to consider is this (from the yale website)
The tuition fee for 2006/2007is $23,610*. Areasonable estimate of costs to be incurred
by a student attending yale school of dramaand living off-campus in the 2006/2007
academic year is between$36,910and $38,310.

Right, but if you're good, you'll get full funding for that, plus a research assistantship or fellowship, or just a monthly stipend. 
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

nmno

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2007, 02:56 pm »
Another thing to consider is this (from the yale website)
The tuition fee for 2006/2007is $23,610*....

Right, but if you're good, you'll get full funding for that...

Do you at Yale?  I took a peak at the YSD website and the only financial aide info I found indicated that "financial aid at the School of Drama is awarded on the basis of need."  Which means it doesn't matter how "good" you are.  I didn't see any information about teaching or research opportunities to provide income (doesn't mean they aren't there, just don't assume they are because they are at other institutions.)

As to UC non-res policy, there are some hoops to jump through - you have to establish 1years+ residency for more than educational purposes (ie. if you go "home" for summer they see that as living in CA for only educational purposes) and establish financial independence (not be a dependent on parents' taxes) - likely not an issue for a grad student applicant. Check: http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/ca_residency.html
Or you could be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor (awardees are exempt from the residency requirement altogether.)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2007, 03:16 pm »
When I applied at Yale - there was only need based finanical aide - and then mostly loans.

There was no ability to teach, no RA-ships, nothing. 

Pretty much, I would have had to float it all on loans.

I was a resident in California when I went to UC-San Diego, and everyone was a resident by the second year.  The tution was waved once you started teaching, and then you were paid.  (something like $900-1500 a month, depending on your course load). 

I was able to pay for everything, a new computer, nice housing and an ankle surgery (I hurt myself the day before my grad insurance kicked in) by floating loads equal to about one years tuition at Yale.

This was all about 7 years ago though - things change.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

sammy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2007, 04:26 am »
UCSD has an excellent program, is free when you become a california resident (after one year) and the current head of stage management was the head at Yale before - lot less money, next to the beach, fantastic program and the standards of Yalie SM's..