Author Topic: Yale.  (Read 14798 times)

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: what ARE the Yalie standards anyway?? A myth???
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2007, 12:02 pm »
the standards of Yalie SMs?

Will someone please explain what they mean by that and why we as a group continue to encourage that outdated thinking?

I'm totally serious.  How many of you are yalies or know yalies or are working with them?  Actual people who have gone there in the last 5-10 years?  And how much is based on you think yale is the best because that's what you are told?

I'm really curious about this...and I'm speaking specifically about people with the SM MFA, not the tech cert or acting/design/direction MFAs (although that's worth discussing too).

I have yet to work with or even run into (I think) anyone with the Yale MFA in Stage Management.

Others (especially designers) from the Yale program consistently get a lot of work, irregardless of their actual talent or quality.  That might not make it the best from an objective standard but it might make it the best in terms of securing employment upon graduation.

sammy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: what ARE the Yalie standards anyway?? A myth???
« Reply #16 on: Mar 31, 2007, 03:10 pm »
the standards of Yalie SMs?

Will someone please explain what they mean by that and why we as a group continue to encourage that outdated thinking?

I'm totally serious.  How many of you are yalies or know yalies or are working with them?  Actual people who have gone there in the last 5-10 years?  And how much is based on you think yale is the best because that's what you are told?

I'm really curious about this...and I'm speaking specifically about people with the SM MFA, not the tech cert or acting/design/direction MFAs (although that's worth discussing too).

What I mean is, if a person is determined to go to Yale (for whatever reason) they should know they can go somewhere else and get the same information and experience for a LOT less money (and in UCSD's case, with a previous Yale teacher).

I have worked with a lot of Yale graduates, and I really like most of them. I also know a few that have attended there and left for another program. I can't explain the support system, but it's obvious to me when I work with two Yalies that there is a connection between them, and I think that's where the networking comes into play. My point, it isn't the only school like that. Graduate school, for me, allowed me to work with and learn from professionals way beyond my league. They have been there since to support me and encourage me, and to offer advice about companies and situations, as have my colleagues in the program.

I am unsure what you mean by "encourage that outdated thinking" though.

sammy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Yale.
« Reply #17 on: Mar 31, 2007, 10:03 pm »
I completely agree with you. I work with a lot of people younger than me at the same place in their career , and I don't think an MFA is a necessity, nor do I look down on people who went a different route. I do, however, think it is the best route for some, especially nowadays with so many of us out there - it's hard to get the little jobs with good people. It definitely helped me tremendously.

I don't know what it is about Yale and would love to know as well.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2007, 01:15 pm »
The outdated thinking is the assumption that the Yale MFA stage management program is the best one out there, superior to all others and more people graduate from there and "make it" than any other.... 

Sigh.. and I thought the "outdated" thinking was that SUNY Purchase had the best Stage Management program (back when they were among the few schools offering one.)

JDL

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2008, 05:55 pm »
Great thoughts from everyone! I'm looking at Yale for Stage Management and Purchase for Lighting Design (MFA)... Not sure if Yale requires the 2-3 years of professional experience like they do for design though...
AlL tHe WoRlD's A sTaGe... AnD i'M oFf BoOk!

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2008, 03:46 pm »
I really didn't get a STUDENT'S perspective, as opposed to other programs where eager to get me in contact with both graduates and students.

Ditto for me. I had to initiate a brief e-mail correspondence with a current student but it wasn't enough to sway my decision.

I chose Iowa over Yale for money reasons, even though Yale was going to give me a lot of money. I chose also to skip a traditional "conservatory" training for the ability to develop other parallel passions, i.e. lighting design. I think my education was outstanding. OTOH, I also believe you do not need an MFA, unless you intend to teach. And even then, I'm dubious.

riotous