Author Topic: Colleges in the South  (Read 5577 times)

Katie ~

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Santa Fe College, Gainesville, FL UCF, Orlando, FL Gainesville Community Playhouse, Gainesville, FL
  • Current Gig: University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL BFA Stage Managment Program
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Colleges in the South
« on: Mar 18, 2008, 02:24 pm »
I'm currently attending Santa Fe Community College...which has a good technical theatre program to start out with.
I'm in my first year, but I've started looking for a 4 year college to move onto.

I'd really like something in FL.
I don't want anything in Miami.
If you could help me out, that'd be great!

Thanks!!!

boolabella

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Colleges in the South
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2008, 05:59 pm »
Why not Miami?
Ninety percent of leadership is the ability to communicate something people want.”

Katie ~

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Santa Fe College, Gainesville, FL UCF, Orlando, FL Gainesville Community Playhouse, Gainesville, FL
  • Current Gig: University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL BFA Stage Managment Program
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2008, 12:10 am »
really bad city. really heavy with crime.
My mother would kill me off rather than have me live there.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2008, 03:27 am »
really bad city. really heavy with crime.
My mother would kill me off rather than have me live there.

Oh come now, Miami isn't so bad.  I've lived here for about a year and a half and I've never had a problem with crime - it's no worse than any other big city.  It was bad in the 80s and early 90s but it's cleaned up a bit, especially in the area of UM - and other colleges around the area are in quite nice neighborhoods.  I've gotta say, I hated it when I moved here, but it has really grown on me.  PM me if you'd like to know more about Miami. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

boolabella

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2008, 01:51 pm »
I have to agree with that.  I got to the Unversity of Miami and it's a beautiful safe campus that's actually in a very rich residential town of Coral Gables, not Miami.  In terms of safety we are no less safe then any other school, we have the blue light system and security and our own UM police force.  If safety is your reason, you should definately rethink Miami and South Florida.  It's really not bad.
Ninety percent of leadership is the ability to communicate something people want.”

Katie ~

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2008, 11:24 pm »
Well it's also a little farther away from home than I'd like.
My family lives in Gainesville...soo..yeah.
I'd like to keep it to under a 8 hour drive to see them as much as possible.

theatreannie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager- Rutgers Theater Company
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:50 pm »
North Carolina School of the Arts

bobbjc6

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2008, 10:17 am »
I am in Winston Salem, where the North Carolina School of the Arts is based, and I can do nothing but give it the highest marks.

also, UCF or Florida State University might be good if you are looking into Florida

riotous