Author Topic: URTA Applications  (Read 6110 times)

gina_teresa

• New to Town
    • View Profile
URTA Applications
« on: Nov 24, 2006, 03:01 pm »
I am currently applying to URTA's, to hopefully begin an MFA program in the Fall of '07.  I need to get my common application packets out to the different schools THIS WEEK, and I'm hitting a frustrating mental block in trying to write my Statement of Professional Goals.  I also need to write, separately, a Letter of Interest, and attempt not to be redundant between the two.  Any thoughts, words of wisdom?  How long should it be, what should it entail, etc.   Any help in getting started would be greatly appreciated!!
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2006, 03:12 pm by gina_teresa »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: URTA Applications
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2006, 12:30 am »
I remember applying for Urta.

I did the following:

My Statement of Professional goals was where I wanted to get to.

My leter of interest was customized to each theatre school about how I felt they could help my obtain my professional goals.

It worked, I got accepted to three of the schools from meeting at URTA.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2006, 04:35 pm »
I've been looking over the U/RTA application as well - I'll be looking to go in Fall of '08.  I was wondering the same things!  What schools are you looking at the most?  I think it's sad that out of all those great schools only a handfull of them offer MFA's in Stage Management!!  I think that more schools should offer it.  It's not like a production can be that successful without one.... :D
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

gina_teresa

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2006, 11:59 am »
Thanks Matthew, that's actually pretty helpful.  What I've done so far is make an outline that includes the following questions/headings:

Overall Goal
Specific Career Acheivement Goals, short and long term
Ways that I believe Grad School can aid me in these goals
Why I am choosing Grad school over just more professional experience

I am trying to find a way to show that grad. school is the right choice for me at this time, and not sound the same as the many many others . . .

I'm just not sure how long the Statement of Prof. Goals needs to be. I don't want to be too short, but I also don't like to ramble on needlessly just to fill up space.

KC - I think U/RTA's are a great way to go to hopefully be able to talk to a bunch of people at once, however my top two choices are actually not even going to be at the audition site I plan on attending!  Numbers one and two on my list (in no particular order) are Rutgers - Mason Gross School of the Arts, and Yale School of Drama.  Other than that, the only two programs I know much about and are apparently very good are University of Iowa (supposedly an EXCELLENT program, but probably not for me as I would prefer to be near a major theatre city, ie Philly, NYC, DC, Chi, etc) or University of California at Irvine.  If you'd like I'll follow up and let you know how the URTA process works out for me and what school I end up at.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2006, 02:11 pm »
Take a look at UC San Diego as well, I think it's better the UC Irvine, on par with Yale, but less expensive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2006, 04:09 pm »
yes, definitely let me know how the process goes for you! 

That's pretty funny - I've also been looking at Rutgers, but my 2nd choice is Columbia University in NYC.  There are few U/RTA schools that I am truly interested in, one of them being Illinois - Urbana/Champagne.  As I said before, we need more choices!!

"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."