Author Topic: Transferring to Canada  (Read 6038 times)

deserted

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Transferring to Canada
« on: Jun 04, 2010, 05:01 pm »
Hey all. Although I'm very happy here at my current school, I'm looking into transferring to a university in Canada for personal reasons. I've been researching on my own, but I seem to get lost under the heaps of information available online. I was wondering if anyone here could help out with some questions I had, since my knowledge of Canadian universities is severely lacking.

1) Are there any big universities in Canada with a theatre design & production program? I'm hoping to find a program that's specific to theatre production, but not a sole SM degree, and also has a liberal arts component to it. The only major university I could find was UBC. Anyone know anything about UBC's theatre design & production program?

2) I want to go into SM-ing dance primarily, although I would still love to do opera, musical, and plays. Are there places in Canada where dance is specially strong?

Thanks!

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Transferring to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2010, 01:57 pm »
Take a look at the National Theatre School http://www.ent-nts.ca/en/.  I would argue that it is the best production program in the country (and no, I didn't go there).

If you're looking for a university based program as opposed to the conservatory style at NTS, the University of Toronto, McGill University and the University of Alberta would be the schools I would look at.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2010, 02:27 pm »
The "best" theatre schools (this is, of course, subjective) would be NTS, York, UBC, McGill, Alberta and (for tech, perhaps not for acting) Ryerson. You might also wish to consider the University of Toronto, the University of Victoria, Dalhousie or Ottawa.

It bears noting that all of Canada's mainline undergraduate universities are large and public: with the exception of NTS, all the ones I've listed have at least 10 000 undergraduate students and full Liberal Arts and Science faculties in addition to their Fine Arts programming.

My understanding is that York has the strongest dance program in the country, but--again--this is somewhat subjective.

Jlong

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2011, 11:56 pm »
Im Canadian, and have had a few of my friends go through some of the programs, and the main ones i would suggest for tech are Alberta, NTS, Ryerson.

ambrosialx

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Ambrosia LX and Design Portfolio
  • Affiliations: University of Guelph
  • Current Gig: Production Manager- Roseneath Theatre
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2011, 12:31 am »
Ucalgary I've heard is good. Alberta was in the midst of a departmental overhaul when I applied and it was like pulling teeth out of a tiger to get anything done (although Paul Gross went there so *sigh*). Ryerson doesn't have a Grad tech course as far as I know and has a...mixed reputation for their tech program. Also I know for sure neither Ryerson or NTS accept credits from any other universities.
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come"

Kelasaurus

• Contributor
  • Live, Laugh, Love
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA
  • Current Gig: Getting my feet wet in the industry
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2012, 02:14 am »
Ucalgary I've heard is good.

Hm.  From what I understand, there is only one SM course offered in their BA program, and it's an introductory one.  I wouldn't put U of C near the top of my list.

I would definitely apply to NTS (very competitive, but worth it just for the application process).  U of Alberta in Edmonton offers (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) the only specialized BFA Stage Management program in the country.  I may end up applying there sometime in the future, I haven't quite settled on it yet.  There's a lot of opportunity within the program, and I believe you are able to earn equity credits before you graduate.

From what I understand, UBC, Studio 58, York and Dalhousie are good programs.

I went to MRU in Calgary.  It's an intense conservatory style program.  I liked it.
‎"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
- Walt Disney

jasonlynch

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2012, 08:22 am »
Based on my own experiences looking into universities and considering taking stage management (in the end, I decided against it), I would suggest the University of Alberta in Edmonton. They offer a BFA Drama with specialization in Technical Theatre - Stage Management. And of course NTS is also a good choice to consider. I found what helped when looking at universities was to look at their undergraduate calendar and look at what courses you would have to take to get your degree. That gives you an idea of what the program is like.

riotous