Author Topic: Texas Schools  (Read 12799 times)

Kasby

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Texas Schools
« on: Nov 19, 2006, 03:53 pm »
Hi, I with my friend right now and well he's been doing (HS) tech theatre for three years and this is my second year and we're both crazy for it. As we're seniors, we're wondering what schools if any in Texas have good Theatre Tech/Design and of course stage management programs.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Texas Schools
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2006, 05:18 pm »
I have a bunch of friends that studied theater or dance at SMU, not sure about their tech program, but you should check it out.

swood09

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2006, 02:30 pm »
I am studying at Texas State University right now, and we have an AMAZING tech design program. Head of costumes is Sheila Hargett and head of scenic is Michelle Ney. You can check out some photos of productions here:http://theatreanddance.txstate.edu/

Give one of them a call and come down to see one of our shows next semester. I'm stage managing Move Over Ms. Markham, opening in late Feb., and we're also doing Much Ado About Nothing, opening in April. Our main office number is (512) 245-2147

djemily

• New to Town
  • God said "GO", and then there was light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2006, 03:53 am »
Hey there! I'm at Texas Tech University right now and we also have a great design program. Students get a lot of hands on experience in the design program and have ample opportunities to design for fully produced shows, including professional shows that travel to Angelfire New Mexico. Our website is http://www.depts.ttu.edu/theatreanddance and the person you should contact is Fred Christoffel, he's the chair of the department and also a senic designer. Let me know if you have any questions or if you ever make it out this way.

Emily

Drmafreek

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
  • Affiliations: USITT, SETC
  • Current Gig: Beauty Queen of Leenane
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2006, 09:49 am »
I agree with Texas State University.  I've worked with several people from there at the Illinois Shakespeare Festival, including Michelle, and all of them seem extremely knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with.
Terry Jachimiak II
Assistant Professor of Theatre
Westminster College

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • John D Murdock, Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2006, 12:47 pm »
I would HIGHLY recommend Baylor University.  I am currently a student there and in the Tech/Design Program studying Stage Mgmt.

Feel free to email me john_murdock@baylor.edu to get you more information.
John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com
http://Http://www.johndmurdock.com

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2006, 11:57 pm »
Hi!  Both Texas Christian University and UT have great reputations for their theater schools as well.  Is there someone at your high school who can look at your test scores and talk to you about your academic, social, and other preferences to see how they may affect your college choices?  I don't envy you the whole college app process, but I sure wish you luck!

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2006, 09:33 am »
Hi!  Both Texas Christian University and UT have great reputations for their theater schools as well. 

UT has an excellent graduate program in theatre, but their undergraduate program is not quite as strong because most of the emphasis is on the grad program, and most (if not all) of the design assignments and acting roles go to grad students.  Also, their undergrad course of study is really geared to those who want to be theatre teachers and is more of a survey of everything (sets, costumes, lighting, directing, acting, etc) as opposed to being concentrated in one area of study.   I know several people who transfered into the theatre program at Texas State after spending a semester at UT. 

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2006, 01:59 pm »
Hi!  Thanks for the perspective on UT - No one told me that before and it's certainly the kind of info I appreciate having! Ta!

swood09

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2007, 09:13 pm »
"Texas State University has the best undergraduate program in Texas."

That is a quote from the Chair of the Theatre Dept. at UT, and I couldn't agree more. I LOVE IT!

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2007, 10:00 pm »
Um.... i would disagree.... if you are looking for education in Tech theatre then i would DEFINITELY look into Baylor University.   
John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com

sammy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2007, 04:29 am »
Baylor Tech Theatre, maybe, but not stage management..

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2007, 11:28 am »
Ahh puff your chests with academic pride!!

Of course everyone is partial to their school.  I think the person's question would be best answered by folks that are a few years removed from academia and have worked with people from all over.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2007, 11:53 am »
Of course everyone is partial to their school.  I think the person's question would be best answered by folks that are a few years removed from academia and have worked with people from all over.

No doubt that the greatest number of Texan alums I have worked with and found working in the performing arts over the last 20 years are from SMU.

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2007, 02:30 pm »
Baylor does have quite a stage management program, thats my focus there, i can attest to that!
John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com