Author Topic: Stubborn, stubborn Freshmen  (Read 3661 times)

swood09

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Stubborn, stubborn Freshmen
« on: Mar 06, 2007, 09:16 pm »
So, I just closed a show at Texas State U., and I had a freshman as one of my leads. I got a LOT of attitude, as I was warned I would by a SM that worked with him last semester.

I would give line and integrity notes through tech rehearsals and the performance, and he would never correct what was given to him.

Kind of personally insulting, especially as he is my roommate, and especially since I sat him down and talked to him about it.

What would you all have done?

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • John D Murdock, Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: Stubborn, stubborn Freshmen
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2007, 10:06 pm »
first of all remember that you cant take it personally. 

I would have set him down, and if that did not work, i would let your mentor know - in the university setting and I would also let the producer (Chair of the Department) know and the Production Manager.
John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com
http://Http://www.johndmurdock.com

birdie4113

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2007, 10:52 pm »
It's hard being in the university setting because you do not have a lot of liberty to reprimand the actors.  What I would have done in that situation is speak to the director about the situation and see what they say.    A lot of actors do not want to listen to someone they consider a peer, especially if it's a friend.  This person needs to know that if they continue to act this way, directors will not hire them in the future.
Bridget

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2007, 01:13 am »
You are dealing with a freshman in college.

I deal with it all the time in a major regional theatre.

There are actors in the world who will not take notes form a stage manager, an assistant director or anyone who tries to give them notes during the run of show. 

Sadly, it's a fact of life.

You can hope in the end they won't get hired agian.

But sadly, they do over and over.

The best thing to do is to notify is remember that ultimately stage management is middle management, and report the issue to someone above you.

Birdie was right, often actors don't want to take a note form someone they view as a peer, like a stage manager, or someone who they view is under them, which a lot of actors someitmes view a stage manager.  Again, there are all types of actors out there.

No names mentioned.  (Just wanted to point that out)

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2007, 01:16 am by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • John D Murdock, Stage Manager
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2007, 02:26 am »
Very Very Very True.

My mantra with stage management has always been our job is to point out the problems, not necessarily to solve them, because that is not our job, but to direct the problem to someone who can.

This is not always possible, granted, but we can try.

Just do the best that ya can!
John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com
http://Http://www.johndmurdock.com

riotous