Author Topic: Stage Management Colleges  (Read 47741 times)

BWEEVEED

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Stage Management Colleges
« on: Apr 22, 2007, 12:32 pm »
I'm a junior in high school and lately I've been looking into colleges where I could stage manage as my major.

I live in the Chicagoland area and I REALLY don't want to go very far away from home.  DePaul University in Chicago and Webster University in St. Louis are the only two schools I know of that are in the general area.

If you know of any other schools around the Midwest OR have any recommendations/comments on the two schools I've listed it would be extremely helpful.
If the world is a stage then we rule the world.

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Stage Management Colleges
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2007, 05:58 pm »
My friend, Miranda is in her Junior year at the Webster Conservatory for Stage Management. She spent her semester this year interning at the LaJolla Playhouse as a production assistant for a show that is on it's way to broadway. They have a great program and are very reputable. So, if you are looking for a conservatory environment, I recommend them. There are also plenty of really good liberal art colleges as well. (I prefer the more-rounded theatre experience to prepare me for stage management, but everyone has different tastes.
Sean

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2007, 12:49 am »
If you're looking for a Conservatory environment I would definatly reccomend Webster.  I have a couple friends going there and they love it.  If you want a more well rounded education but still a good stage management area, think about Illinois State University.  I guess I'm biased since I'm graduating from there this May, but I really do think it's a great program.  The head of the Stage Management area is really brilliant.  The program is not too huge and you will get to ASM or SM a program every semester and can also broaden your horizens and get experience designing and directing.  Also, the proscenium space is only about 4 years old and is very state of the art.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2007, 09:55 am »
Have you thought about Western Michigan?  They have a fantastic theatre program.   It's just a few hours away from Chicago, in Kalamazoo.

I was from extreme northwest suburbs, and went to school in west michigan, and I thought it was great -- I was far enough away from my family that I really felt independent and on my own, but close enough that I could easily get back if I wanted to or needed to. 
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:16 am »
I'm finishing up my Senior year at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan.  We don't really have a Stage Management program.  You be getting a Design/Technology degree specializing in SM.  However, we need Stage Managers anyway because between our Bonstelle Theatre (Undergrade Theatre), Studio Theatre (Undergrade Theatre) and Hilberry Theatre (Graduate Theatre), we do 14 to 17 productions a year between all three theatres.  That is more than any other college or university in the USA. We also have the only Graduate reprotory theatre in the USA. Believe it or not but I have learned a lot while I have been there and there are alway student productions to work on as well besides any of the Bonstelle or Studio season productions too.

You would be working in the Bonstelle and Studio, which are wonderful environments to work in, especially the Studio which seats 110. And depending how you do on your first ASM assignment, you would most likely become PSM for one of the Studio Theatre Productions and then up to the Bonstelle.

Check out our link:  http://www.theatre.wayne.edu/index2.php

Hope this helps!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 01:18 pm »
I want to totally second Scoot in thinking about WHERE the college is located.

If all things are equaly, finding a school that is geographically close to a theatre center is very important.  If you are outside Chicago, and get to know Chicago while a student, think of the opportunities that coule be opened up to you?

Now, in the end I think you have to make sure that all other things are equal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 11:36 am »
Well I would have to agree with PSMAK that Wayne State is a good place, but I would also suggest looking into Drake University in Des Moines, IA.  They offer a BFA in technical theatre and design and give a very well rounded education.  There are tons of students at Drake from the Chicago area and most don't have problems getting back to the city when they want.  Drop me a message if you want more information.

Candy

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 11:52 am »
HEY! I think someone, somewhere on this board mentioned getting a godo education in San Diego..

2 questions: who and what university?

I've got a former dance student interest in making the transition to the dark side!  ;D

McShell

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 05:14 pm »
I live in San Diego, UCSD offers an MFA in Stage Management.  I didn't go there, I went to Rutgers, but I've worked with some awesome SMs who graduated from there, at the La Jolla Playhouse and the Old Globe, and they seemed to like it a lot.  Also, the beach is down the street, which must have been great, all I had near my school was a river. :'(

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 09:01 am »
Thank you!

I figured it was UCSD- but I thought I'd better check.... and it's easier to ask my SM friends than to do the internet search.....  ;)

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 10:36 pm »
the beach is down the street, which must have been great, all I had near my school was a river.
I have a correctional facility and an interstate near mine.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 11:14 pm »
I recommend looking into the University of Iowa if you don't want to go far from home. It's a stellar program. A great mix of undergraduate and graduate students, plus the added bonus of creating new work, makes for a varied and comprehensive training program. Just make sure you choose a school that's right for you, no matter what anyone else says.

<Shameless Plug> I SMed the production of Angels featured on the splash page. It remains one of the best experiences of my life.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 11:24 pm by Sarah »

ashadeofbrown

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2007, 01:09 pm »
I would recommend Emerson College in Boston, MA. I'm going there as a Stage Management major next year, and you get a lot of experience. I also love Boston, and it's close to my home.

I believe Yale has a Stage Management program. But, from what has been posted, their main plus is providing contacts.
Curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought it back.

anna.ashley

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Cirque du Soleil
« Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2007, 01:52 am »
I am finishing up my second year at The Theatre School at DePaul. In the last 2 years I have learned more about this job and the industry than I even knew existed while I was still in High School, and look forward to learning much more.

It's great because we learn how to speak the languages of all other tech/design areas by taking classes, while diving straight into ASMing and SMing both storefront-sized and Broadway-sized shows. We get a well rounded education in theatre, and it's very focused and intense.

For any high schooler who wants to be a stage manager, I highly recommend this program. It has it's flaws, of course, but the advantages (being in the city, professors who are working in their fields and can hook us up with jobs, lots of hands on experience!) certainly make it a great place.

Feel free to send me a message through here if you want to talk any more. The Theatre School Admissions office also has an AIM screen name that you can IM if you have questions (TheTheatreSchool) and my name's Anna, so you can ask if I'm working and we can chat about it.

Happy Exploring!

PSMREL

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 03, 2007, 01:03 pm »
I'm finishing up my Senior year at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan.  We don't really have a Stage Management program.  You be getting a Design/Technology degree specializing in SM.  However, we need Stage Managers anyway because between our Bonstelle Theatre (Undergrade Theatre), Studio Theatre (Undergrade Theatre) and Hilberry Theatre (Graduate Theatre), we do 14 to 17 productions a year between all three theatres.  That is more than any other college or university in the USA. We also have the only Graduate reprotory theatre in the USA. Believe it or not but I have learned a lot while I have been there and there are alway student productions to work on as well besides any of the Bonstelle or Studio season productions too.

You would be working in the Bonstelle and Studio, which are wonderful environments to work in, especially the Studio which seats 110. And depending how you do on your first ASM assignment, you would most likely become PSM for one of the Studio Theatre Productions and then up to the Bonstelle.

Check out our link:  newbielink:http://www.theatre.wayne.edu/index2.php [nonactive]

Hope this helps!

I'm looking into Wayne State myself as a Stage Manager.

The website claims that there is  a stage management program and gives a lot of details on it.

Can you clarify?

Also, I'd appreciate the chance to email you directly or here about your experience at the school.

Any info about the program or your experience would be greatly appreciated.

PSMREL†

riotous