Author Topic: Stage Management Colleges  (Read 47751 times)

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Stage Management Colleges
« Reply #30 on: Nov 16, 2008, 09:57 pm »
I think Yale requires the GRE.
Yes! I think this was the one.

Is it worth taking the GRE for the limited number of schools that require them? I suppose it's always "worth it" to take these exams, but I don't want to waste my money if not necessary.
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #31 on: Nov 16, 2008, 10:13 pm »
Is it worth taking the GRE for the limited number of schools that require them? I suppose it's always "worth it" to take these exams, but I don't want to waste my money if not necessary.

I would say if you're seriously considering applying to Yale (or any other school that requires the GRE), take the test.  Even if you're undecided at this point but think that you might end up applying, it's better to take it.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2009, 02:57 pm »
Just to update people on the status of my question about Stage Management (MFA) and GRE (Graduate Record Exam test), every school but 1 I applied to required it:

The schools are:

Montclair University
Rutgers
Yale
University of Illinois - Urbana

I don't know how heavily the decision weighs on acceptance into the graduate stage management program, but just throwing that out there that more schools require it, it seems, than do not.

-Amie
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

ewharton

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2009, 04:21 pm »
That's interesting. When I applied to (and was accepted by) Rutgers they did not require it. I started in '06. I guess their requirements have changed since then.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2009, 04:53 pm »
That's interesting. When I applied to (and was accepted by) Rutgers they did not require it. I started in '06. I guess their requirements have changed since then.

It's possible the school itself requires it, but not the program.
~ Amie ~

Gruetz

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Mar 04, 2009, 03:23 am »
As a graduating stage management student at Western Michigan University, I can't say enough how grateful I have been for this program.

It truly is all the benefits of a masters program specifically and exclusively for undergraduates. Plus, stage management is a specific degree program, so there is really specialized attention in that area.

Plus, we have the benefit of being about 2 hours from both Chicago and Detroit, a thriving Kalamazoo theatre community, and Grand Rapids (a very large theatre community) also only 45 minutes away.

katykat29

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Mar 04, 2009, 06:01 pm »
I wanted to put a plug in for my alma mater, Millikin University in Decatur, IL.  The program is intensive with a black box, medium proscenium and large proscenium.  They have some excellent scholarship programs and great mentoring from the staff.  The program is small enough that you get to know everyone and large enough that you're not always stuck with the same people.  I staged managed almost from day one there and was able to create my own program (with an advisor's help) that has stood me in good stead.

RachaelBaciocco

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #37 on: Mar 19, 2013, 02:38 pm »
Hello everyone!
I am currently finishing up my freshman year of college, and I don't like the university I am attending...I am in Virginia at the University of Mary Washington, and I am planning on studying technical theatre and stage management, but I don't like UMW.  Plus they don't specifically have a technical theatre major.  They focus more on performing dramas, and I have not been very impressed with the 4 or 5 productions I have seen.  I want to go to a school that has a great theatre program, bigger than this one, where I can essentially learn everything there is to learn about stage management and theatre.  Do you have any recommendations?  I've been doing some searches online but there are so many universities listed that it's hard to weed through them all.  I'm trying to stay in Virginia because of money, so if you could keep that in mind that'd be great.  Thank you guys so much!

=)
Rachael Baciocco
message me with any advice! =)

yomanda

• View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #38 on: Mar 19, 2013, 05:23 pm »
Rachael, 

I don't have any college suggestions but I would like to point you to this post by Matthew Shiner that has some solid advice about choosing a school.
Good luck in your search! 

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #39 on: Mar 19, 2013, 11:40 pm »
Rachel,

I think since you have a desire to stay in VA, the list of schools with good theater programs can't be that long.

I know the head of the program of Virginia Tech, and he's a great guy - and although they have a grad program, it's small enough that I think as an undergrad you will get some good opportunities.  Other then that, I don't know of many outstanding theater programs in VA (And it's not because there isn't any - I am just not that familiar with VA).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Eric Toler

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #40 on: Mar 20, 2013, 11:43 am »
I don't know much about VA or the area/schools or what you're looking for exactly, but I did seriously considering applying to Virginia Commonwealth University after receiving emails about their stage management program and talking to some people there. I don't know if you've already looked into or considered the school or anything, just a suggestion.

Here is their website & stage management page: newbielink:http://arts.vcu.edu/theatre/apply-now/programs/bfa-studio-management/ [nonactive] You'd have to contact the school or something for more information but it seems pretty nice.

Hope you find what you're looking for, whatever that may be!
"I don't care about money. I just want to be wonderful." -MM

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #41 on: Mar 20, 2013, 02:12 pm »
I worked with a SM from VCU who was FANTASTIC, and what she told me about the program made a very good impression on me. I also know that JMU has a large & active theater department, but I don't really know anything about the SM program there.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #42 on: Mar 20, 2013, 10:32 pm »
I worked with a SM from VCU who was FANTASTIC, and what she told me about the program made a very good impression on me. I also know that JMU has a large & active theater department, but I don't really know anything about the SM program there.

Who did you work with? Have we already had this discussion? I graduated from VCU's program so if you are interested I can tell you about it (or anyone for that matter) I also know a bit about VTech.

HAHA just clicked on the page link to the VCU website and there is my stupid face!
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2013, 10:34 pm by BARussell »
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #43 on: Mar 21, 2013, 12:04 am »
Wow, you actually ARE a poster boy for something. That's so cool!

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #44 on: Mar 22, 2013, 12:05 am »
Thank you!

It is sort of cool, but you know it is so staged because I am wearing white socks, I would never put blacks on with white socks. Photoshop please?
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"