Author Topic: Stage Managed at Denver Center for Performing Arts?  (Read 4533 times)

nsutheatrestar

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Stage Managed at Denver Center for Performing Arts?
« on: Apr 07, 2009, 08:47 pm »
So I am doing a business of theatre project on what theatre I would like to work at. For the ospice of the class I am interested in the Denver Center for the Performing Arts and I was curious if anyone has worked at this theatre?  Does anyone know any Stage Managers that have worked here and now have made it to broadway or really close? 

Thanks. 

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Stage Managed at Denver Center for Performing Arts?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2009, 11:46 am »
The first thing that I would recommend is really researching the organization.  DCPA is an umbrella organization that covers a couple of producing arms.  One is Denver Center Attractions, which primarily handles tours but does occasionally produce shows (typically long running like Always, Patsy Cline shows like that), the other is the Denver Center Theatre Company, which is a LORT theatre with 4 spaces that are used in their rep season.  One big difference is DCA is geared more towards commercial work and DCTC produces a mixture of classics, new work, and some old standbys, primarily plays.

The AEA stage managers who are at DCTC have been there for quite some time, but many of us who worked as ASM's have gone on to other great work.  Most of us have gone on to working in other regional theatres or a similar level.  As a side note, I learned almost everything I know about stage management from the SM's here.  They are incredibly talented and have a huge amount of experience, and have been willing to share that knowledge with interns and ASM's as they come through.

DCTC has a great internship program, and is worth looking into if you are really interested in working there.  It is a lot of work for little or no money, but the experience and on the job training you get are priceless.

SSM :-)
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

CRVerdusco

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA, USITT, IATSE
Re: Stage Managed at Denver Center for Performing Arts?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2009, 01:49 am »
If you are still looking for information about Denver Center, personal message me I know quite a few people that have worked there and I can put you in touch with them.