Author Topic: Northwestern vs. UMich?  (Read 5209 times)

deserted

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Northwestern vs. UMich?
« on: Mar 31, 2009, 06:03 pm »
Hey everyone! So college decisions are out, and my final available choices are Northwestern University and University of Michigan. For Northwestern, I was accepted as a BA Theater major in the School of Communications. At UMich, I was accepted for the BFA Theatre Design & Production student. As I don't live in the U.S., there's no way for me to visit these colleges.

Are there any students at Northwestern or UMich here that could give me some insight into the programs? Or anyone else who graduated from either school? Thanks :)
Posted on: March 31, 2009, 03:59:33 PM
Can't find the edit button. Hm.

Anyway, I forgot to add what type of college I'm looking for. I'm looking for a college where I can build great connections for the theatre world after college. I'm also hoping to minor in Biology. And as for the student body, I'm looking for one where I can get lost in the crowd, but still have a close group of friends, and be involved in school clubs. Also, I'm of course looking for chances to help out with any backstage on and off campus, the more experience the better!

Srlaupan

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern vs. UMich?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2009, 06:47 pm »
I personally haven't attended either schools but I've seen and heard wonderful things come from the Michigan program. A lot of that has been on the performance side, but their tech program seems really, really strong, too.

Congrats & good luck!

gotracigo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • www.tracigaydos.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2009, 01:12 am »
Working in and around Chicago I run into LOTS of Northwestern grads.  I didn't go there myself, but it seems like there is strong network of them here in the city.

What did you end up deciding?
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.

Techguy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Les Mis 25th Anniversary Tour
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2009, 12:48 pm »
I can only comment on UM.  I will be a senior in the fall working on BFA.  I love the program and wouldn't trade it for anything.  We get a chance to work with guest professionals and make lots of contacts.  I would highly recommend the U  Shoot me an email if you want more info or have more questions:
mbhodges@umich.edu

Thanks!

Mitch
Mitchell Hodges
Stage Manager

deserted

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2009, 01:19 pm »
I ended up choosing Michigan, and as Mitch said above, I wouldn't trade it for anything else. The professors and classes are fantastic, the liberal arts portion of the curriculum is extremely strong, there are lots of chances to get involved in shows, but I think the other students really define the Michigan experience. They're simply all fantastic people, and I definitely recommend looking into Michigan if you're looking into Theatre Design & Production!

riotous