Author Topic: SM Internship  (Read 5862 times)

Amarie

• Tourist
  • Redheaded Midget
    • View Profile
SM Internship
« on: Aug 16, 2006, 05:55 pm »
I've been offered an internship in stage management/production and am wondering if anyone else has done this? I'm mainly wondering about the schedule and whether or not it might be flexible, as I have a potential conflict with classes.
I'm new to SM and am looking for a bit more information before I decide whether or not to accept the internship. That being said, if there were no conflicts I think I would take it and run!  :)
Thanks!

~Annie

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: SM Internship
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2006, 06:06 pm »
I'd say talk to both sides about the potential conflict.  It is possible that they understand and the class teacher may get out of some classes since you are working an internship that has to deal with your education as well, I know when I was in college I could have.  If you think SMing would be something you would be interested in then an internship is a great way to learn some more.  I graduated college a year ago and come this October I will be interning at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago, even though I've done a lot of SMing in college (and a little since) its still gonna be a great learning experience interms of me seeing how equity works more up close plus a good line on the resume and networking capabilities.

So yeah just talk to the people about the potential conflict sometimes they will be willing to work with you to make it all work out.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2006, 06:21 pm »
Ne honest about your conflicts from the start - - - they may be able to work around it - you never know.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2006, 09:40 am »
Having done a few internships I know they all have slightly different hours depending on the company.  That said, they have always been able to work around some conflicts that I was open about.  Even regular jobs are willing to work around some conflicts as long as your honest from the start and the right fit for the job.

Congrats on your internship offer and best of luck!
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

Amarie

• Tourist
  • Redheaded Midget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2006, 03:55 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I've sent them my class schedule and am waiting to hear back if it will work. I hope so--I've been really looking forward to this!

Amarie

• Tourist
  • Redheaded Midget
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2006, 10:24 pm »
It's done-I officially accepted the offer today.  :D

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA