Author Topic: SM Colleges  (Read 4543 times)

BWEEVEED

• New to Town
    • View Profile
SM Colleges
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:34 pm »
I'm debating between two schools to further my education in stage management. I'm stuck between DePaul University in Chicago and Illinois State University in somewhere in Illinois. I'm hoping to go into theatre education after a while.

Any suggestions? :)

Rachel
If the world is a stage then we rule the world.

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: SM Colleges
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 03:01 pm »
I just say to pick out the strengths and weaknesses of both programs, talk to students and professors, visit the schools, and then make the best decision based on the information you have collected.  Also, I encourage you to look at other schools - dont limit your options to only two places.  You may find that neither one suit your needs.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 07:29 pm »
I just graduated from Illinois State in the Design / Production Sequence.  I loved my time there.  The program was small enough that I never had to fight to get an SM or ASM position.  The head of the stage management area is very knowledgable and talented (and a hell of a lot of fun).  I was able to get alot of varied experiences stage managing straight theatre, musicals, opera, and dance, and a very well rounded education in general.

colum07

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 05:11 pm »
I'm debating between two schools to further my education in stage management. I'm stuck between DePaul University in Chicago and Illinois State University in somewhere in Illinois. I'm hoping to go into theatre education after a while.

Any suggestions? :)

Rachel

im a senior in hs and was looking into that too, but i decided on Columbia College Chicago instead.

riotous