Author Topic: SM Colleges in the MD, PA regions  (Read 7546 times)

BaDurmy

• Tourist
    • View Profile
SM Colleges in the MD, PA regions
« on: May 11, 2007, 09:06 am »
So i'm in highschool still but would love to start looking into colleges this summer so i can go right into school. What are any suggestions? I live in MD and don't mind leaving but not too far from home of course. I heard that Towson has a good theatre program but i'm not sure if that includes technical aspets as well. any help would be much apreciated!

-Britt- ;D

SMoore6

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: SM Colleges in the MD, PA regions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2007, 07:39 pm »
I am a student at Towson University and I believe Towson does an extremely wonderful job of preparing you for the professional theatre world. The space is beautiful and the faculty is extremely open and helpful. I would definately come to campus and take a look around. If you call the theatre office here they are usually more than happy to have someone in your particular area of interest show you around.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:12 am »
Are you looking specifically for Stage Management or are broader tech/production focus?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2007, 01:23 am »
the university of maryland, college park, has a good technical program. i went there, and while there is only one class for stage management, there are a lot of opportunities to actually stage manage plays, dance performances, and opera. i got some experience working with professional stage managers and directors, and most of the theatre faculty work in DC in professional theatre, so it's a good place to make contacts. one of the first professional shows i ASMed had a cast member and a designer who were my former teachers.

i had a great experience at maryland, and would highly recommend it.

Firemagic

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2007, 05:36 pm »
I hear Point Park in Pittsburgh has a really good reputation for Stage Management.  I know someone about to graduate from there.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2007, 06:47 pm »
I went to West Chester University in PA and loved it.

I feel like I got a really wonderful education with a lot of hands-on experience. I got my first professional job lined up before I graduated and I have been employed on a constant basis since.

The department has also recently combined with dance and music and moved into a new multi-million dollar facility.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

RachelTaylor

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2007, 11:07 pm »
I'm going into my senior year at Penn State.  It's a BFA Stage Management program and by far the best program that I've come across while meeting other SM students.  It's a very specified program that gives you conservatory experience in a huge state university environment.  I couldn't be more satisfied with the education I'm getting.  If you don't believe me, ask Kevin (kmc307) above since he's a gainfully-employed alum!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2007, 08:34 am »
I'm going into my senior year at Penn State.  It's a BFA Stage Management program and by far the best program that I've come across while meeting other SM students.  It's a very specified program that gives you conservatory experience in a huge state university environment.  I couldn't be more satisfied with the education I'm getting.  If you don't believe me, ask Kevin (kmc307) above since he's a gainfully-employed alum!

Aww Rachey-Rach!!

The Penn Staters are coming in droves  8).  Hail to the Lions!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

rocco

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2007, 01:38 am »
Im also looking for colleges right now Penn State is deffinitely one of the ones im looking into. The Stage Management major looks like it wil give you a lot of hands on experience, while having peers to work with/relate to, but I havent actually experieced it so i guess my advice isnt worth much... oh well.
I dont know if Michigan is too far away for you, but Emerson looks like it has a pretty solid program as well.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2007, 02:21 am »
Although maybe a little far away, Emerson College in Boston has a very good program as well.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

riotous