Author Topic: Seeking SM Apprenticeship/Internship  (Read 3668 times)

herohelge

Seeking SM Apprenticeship/Internship
« on: Aug 13, 2007, 10:41 pm »
Hello all.

( I know there are many threads like this .. I hope no one minds one more hapless would-be SM fumbling about for advice. :) )

I'm a stage manager at the Ohio State University, entering into my senior year. I've been kicking around the idea of grad school, but I honestly feel I could do with a few years of "hands on" experience before taking that plunge -- besides, I feel that it would give me and my resume a bit more sparkle! As such, I've determined that an internship or apprenticeship might be best for me. I've been looking around on ArtSearch and whatnot, but I'd prefer to hear from individuals who have more knowledge than I on the theatre world/first-hand experience with these theatre companies/know of their reputations and so forth!

I've been looking into Actors Theatre of Louisville, but they do not offer their SM interns a stipend. ... and the University of Alabama/Alabama Shakespeare Festival. However, I'd like to apply to a number of good programs this year, to see what I can get accepted to. Any recommendations? I'm looking for...

- Stipend
- a Theatre company with a good reputation/prestigious
- (would like) AEA Points Candidacy
- to be working with other interns, etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Seeking SM Apprenticeship/Internship
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2007, 09:41 am »
Have you considered CATCO? I did my internship there-

I think the stipend was $255 - but that was over 10 years ago!

TJ Gerkens is the PM--

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2007, 08:59 pm »
Look are for my thread. I just asked this question. I'm a senior at SUNY Purchase.
-C-

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2007, 10:54 pm »
I would recommend the program I oversee at the Shakespeare Theatre Company in Washington DC, stiped, housing, AEA ponts, three interns a year now, big, big classical theatre, performing 8-10 shows a year, in three different performance venues.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous