Author Topic: New York University: Tisch - Does it offer a stage management program?  (Read 6019 times)

pyromnt

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: SM- You're A Good Man Charlie Brown
  • Experience: High School
I want to go to college to study the stage management craft and get either a BFA or BA. My main top choices are Emerson, Purchase, or NYU: Tisch.

I think Tisch has the best name recognition and I love that NYC is "the campus," but I am worried that it won't be able to offer me a good education for stage management.

The website only mentions on stage management class and that is for film, not performing arts.

Has anyone gone to/or know how the stage management program works at NYU?

Thank you
Standby. And 3..2..1

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
This summer I had an ASM from NYU...she was in the Tech Track. I don't know an awful lot about it, but there's a place to start.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

jcarey

• New to Town
  • Stage Manager and Lifetime Student
    • View Profile
    • James D Carey on LinkedIn
  • Affiliations: UNCSA, USITT
  • Current Gig: BFA Stage Management, UNCSA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Might I take a second for a shameless plug and recommend the BFA Stage Management department at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts?
Great public arts conservatory dedicated to both stage and screen. A comprehensive curriculum that gives experience in stage managing dramas, musicals, operas, dance, and special events. Opportunities available in film. Our faculty members are all working professionals that have seen a lot of the industry and are dedicated to giving students the most hands on experience they can offer. It is truly a great place to learn and hone skills. Also, this school sets you up to move straight into a career almost anywhere you want to be. We have industry professionals on campus quite often giving master classes, workshops, and interviews. the connections you can get after being here are amazing. I am a sophomore in the program and highly recommend it.
Feel free to PM me with any questions and check out www.uncsa.edu
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

- Douglas Adams

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
We've discussed NCSA before. They send us a lot of folks so the recent reactions have been quite positive, but also see this relatively neutral discussion from 5 years ago before NCSA students started coming through en masse.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Look into NYU - I know one or two of their production managers.

I go back and forth and the concept of going to school in NYC proper - there is going to be some much "career noise" that will pull you away from the school work (Which is more exciting, PSMing a small show at school or PA'ing a Broadway show . . . that tends to happen in NYC).

If you are planning on making NYC your home base, then try to go to school as close to NYC as possible - why not learn the city and make local connections when you are living as cheaply as you will ever live.  One of the difficulties about studying theater in a school that is geographically isolated from a major theater hub is you are missing out of years of making connections - things that visiting professors and field trips to major cities are never QUITE going to make up for it.  Trust me, you are going to have the leg up, the connections and the lead that are going to put you ahead in the market come graduation - even perhaps coming from a "better" program (which I think is always a HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE - what school is good for me is not going to be good for another SM).

Good luck on your search.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.