Author Topic: Other Colleges  (Read 4849 times)

Here2serv

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Other Colleges
« on: Aug 21, 2007, 05:16 pm »
So I know that many people talk a lot about Webster, DePaul, and NCSA. I am in love with all three and would love to go to them. I am a senior in HS and needing to apply very soon. I am seeing that these three cost a pretty penny and I am not sure that I could pay off loans after college. What other colleges are up there with these three, but might be less expensive? I am not being cheap here. I enjoy having the best in theater(i.e. lighting, rigging, sound), so I do not want a small school where I could not find this. I want to be trained very well and leave college after 4 years knowing that my money was spent wisely. That I got the best education I could get and was trained in or around the best equipment that there is. I know that I will not always have "the best of the best", but being trained on or near it would be nice. If anyone could give me some colleges to look into then I would be very thankful. Thank you for all you time!
~pay it forward~

mca

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Other Colleges
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2007, 05:30 pm »
Have you looked into your state schools to see if any of them have a strong theater department? Are you looking for a well rounded tech/design education with SM experience and training or do you want to be in an specifically SM program. Are you looking at a double major in a non-theater related field? Are you looking for a conservatory program or a liberal arts based education BA or BFA? 

Here2serv

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2007, 06:03 pm »
I live in Knoxville, TN. The University of Tennessee has a campus here, but I do not feel it has that great of a theater program. I am looking to go out of state. I think a tech/design along with SM would be more beneficial to me. After all, a SM is suppose to be able to do it all. I am looking to get a BFA and I would stop with that. I do not feel a MFA would be worth the cost for me. As for conservatory vs. liberal arts, I am not that sure on which. I do not want a double major, at this point at least.
~pay it forward~

rocco

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2007, 03:18 am »
Im pretty much in the same boat you are...
check out Emmerson, Penn State, CalArts, Cornish, North Eastern, and North Western if your looking for a Stage management major.

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2007, 05:27 pm »
and SUNY Purchase!
-C-

LisaEllis

« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2007, 09:43 pm »
NCSA is a state school, and has in-state as well as out-of-state tuition rates.

To get in-state tuition you have to move to NC for a full year before enrolling (or re-enrolling).  But it's been done before...