Author Topic: Opinions on continuing BA program?  (Read 6657 times)

lex_tech

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Opinions on continuing BA program?
« on: Mar 29, 2017, 01:30 pm »
i would like some outside opinions on something I had been thinking about:

Backstory: I grew up in the same area my whole life, and wanted to move somewhere else after high school. When I was accepted to an out of state school, I immediately knew I wanted to attend. I knew little about the school, the program, and city but what had attracted me was that it's in Philly and close to other large cities.
The theatre department has a typical BA program with a design and production track. Although I love how many opportunities I can get, 1'm considering going back home to a state school. Should i go back home and complete my BA for a lower price?

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Opinions on continuing BA program?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2017, 04:05 pm »
Which will give you the better education? Don't just go to Philly because it is out of town. Once you are working you can do that any time. If you do believe Philly will give you the better opportunities and experience, then you need to weigh that cost up against the value of those opportunities.

It could be fear that is giving you doubts - I am assuming that by going to a state school you will still have your existing support network (parenty and friends) available to you - and that won't exist if you go interstatte. I don't know the US college system well (apart from the hollywood version) however it appears that many are sort of geared towards establishing independant support networks for their students - so maybe look into that to reassure yourself - what support would be available if you moved to Philly.

There is no right or wrong answer really. If you are going to be really uncomfortable without your support network at home and excessively financially burdened - go to a state school. If you can afford to go to Philly, and it is all you have ever wanted, it will give you the opportunities you desire, then go to Philly. Long term you can get wherever you want to be through hard work. Without a crystal ball, no one can say what would work out right for you, but somewhere inside you know what you want to do. Just don't trust the surface fears and excitement, it will take some time to mull.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2017, 10:51 pm »
Why not both? Is there an option available where you can start your education in-state for less and transfer to your desired location for the latter/advanced part of your education?

Also, don't be afraid to seek out to alumni to ask their opinions....maybe on a forum like SMNetwork!

lex_tech

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2017, 10:23 pm »
Thanks guys for the advice. Those were some helpful points to think about.

I decided to go back to my home state (California) from Philadelphia. I don't like the education i'm getting here that much for the price I am paying. It is a good school and I met great people, but there are many reasons why going home is a better option for me. I'm glad i got this experience, but I think it's better for a theatre major especially to have as little debt as possible after college.

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2017, 01:50 pm »
Oh, yes. There are tons of great state schools for theatre in California. And moving from NoCal to SoCal, or vice versa, is pretty much exactly like moving to a different state in terms of the local culture. I fully support a state-sponsored education on the west coast and particularly in CA.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

riotous