Author Topic: Nyu?  (Read 3785 times)

BrettArnett

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Nyu?
« on: Aug 13, 2007, 12:25 am »
This question is most likely out of a lack of Knowledge
but is it hard to get into the stage management and/ or theatre program?

StageMgr2Stars

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Nyu?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2007, 10:08 am »
I am really really really sorry if anyone went there and this offends them but I have heard really bad things about their undergrad... I have, on the reverse of that, heard great things about their grad program. PM me.
-C-

amazingotter

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2007, 03:41 pm »
I'm not sure what it's like now, but when I was considering going there, I was told they only take around 10 "Tech track" people each year. Tech track is what stage management falls under in the program- there is no separate stage management major, only an emphasis in the large design/tech field.
I have several friends who did eventually go to NYU, including one who is in the tech track. She is a stage manager, but also very interested in costume design, so it works well for her. If you aren't as interested in the other design/tech areas, I would discourage NYU. But it's a great school if you are, and can afford it.

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2007, 09:07 pm »
I have a friend who is a stage manager and graduated from the NYU program a couple years ago.  From my experiences with her, she is only a sm...not a designer as well.  PM me if you have specific questions and I can ask her and pass the info along.  I work with their grad acting program occasionally, so that is where most of my nyu knowledge falls.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.