Author Topic: Little help please... (Seeking College Recommendations)  (Read 20062 times)

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Little help please... (Seeking College Recommendations)
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2006, 08:53 pm »
I might be putting my head on the chopping block... but I would recommend that you go to a liberal arts school and get a degree in anything, then move on to a stage management career after college. Take theatre classes and certainly learn everything you can while you have the chance to approach SMing academically. But having a well-rounded background is something I have come to value. I would give the same advice to someone planning to be an engineer who might want to enter a special tech program, or a senator's son who was determined to take only poli-sci classes at an ivy league school. Take advantage of your undergraduate years to learn everything about anything. When you graduate, you'll be able to balance the theatre's budget, write the dramaturgy essays, measure groundplans in alternate bases (just for fun - or if you're taping on a linoleum tile floor*), because you took accounting, English, and math, plus theatre. I just think that undergraduate studies are the time to get an excellent, well-rounded education base. Specialize your studies in grad school, and/or get hands-on experience in the real world. This is my opinion, and I'm a huge fan of a liberal arts education. I'm sure all the die-hard theatre schoolies out there will shout me down, and that's ok.

*If you're taping on a linoleum floor, like in a church basement or cafeteria or something, measure how big the tiles are. Sometimes they're 12", in which case you're good to go - you're already in base 12; more frequently they're 9", 8", or 6". As long as they're an even number, you can quickly convert all your groundplan measurements to the base of the tile measurement and then just cound tiles instead of fussing with the tape measure. In the end, you save a little time between doing the extra math up front and taping a little faster. Nerds like me think this is great. See - you should have stayed awake in algebra.

I agree with this 100%. My college is liberal arts, and I couldn't be happier. I have some friends who go to conservatory, and they don't know anything about how a business runs (theatre is a business) because they don't take business classes. They also don't take classes on communication within an organization. I highly recommend liberal arts. Sometimes the generals are a pain in the butt, however they prove to be extremely helpful.
Sean

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2006, 09:15 pm »
I went to a liberal arts school and firmly believe that is the way to go.

Some outrageously high number of college students change their majors in the course of their studies.  Why limit yourself at the exact time you should be expanding.

Defenitaly wait until grad school to seek a super specialized degree.

snopesmanager0610

• Tourist
  • Sunset Playhouse Headshot, June 2007
    • View Profile
    • Lukas' Facebook
  • Affiliations: University of Wisconsin Parkside Stage Management, Sunset Playhouse Stage Management
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2006, 10:05 pm »
If you're thinking about Wisconsin, I recommend the University of Wisconsin Parkside. They limit the number of people who can major in theater arts, so they can keep track of everyone much more effectively. Since the program isn't super-advanced, it also allows you the chance to take "breath of knowledge" classes and get your math, your English, and whatever else you need, in addition to the theater related classes. Even if you declare a concentration, you are encouraged to experience all sides to theater. I've Assistant Stage Managed one show, I'm Assistant Stage Managing one more, and then Assistant Sound designing a third. It's possible to get involved in all areas, and everyone is really close, and we all try to support each other as best we can. Let me know if you're interested, and best of luck with your decision!

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2006, 12:14 am »
I just read a back issue of Stage Directions magazine that included a very nice article on, I believe, the University of Evansville.  Also, I've heard great things about the University of Cincinnati. The thing is, however, there are so many things to consider in a college - your GPA, the size of the college you'd like to attend, other course offerings, etc.  Is there someone at your school you could spend some time with so you could look at the big picture?  My high school offers college counseling and it's really helpful.  Best of luck!

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:31 am »
Whatever schools you narrow yourself down to, go to the college to visit.  I was highly interested in one of the colleges that someone has mentioned on this board, and when I went there I got a completely different feeling about the place.  (Shoddy production values, non-friendly students, etc.)  I eventually was accepted into their program, but I didn't choose them.

Erin

mca

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2006, 10:59 am »
Whatever schools you narrow yourself down to, go to the college to visit.  I was highly interested in one of the colleges that someone has mentioned on this board, and when I went there I got a completely different feeling about the place.  (Shoddy production values, non-friendly students, etc.)  I eventually was accepted into their program, but I didn't choose them.

Erin
Erin, which school was this if you don't mind me asking

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:44 pm »
I have replied privately to mitcha, but I'll just say that the incident was back 1993, so any school could have changed since then.  But if you think you may spend 4 years of your life some place, you should go there first to see if it's anything like you think it is!  Might be an expensive trip, but perhaps much more expensive to spend 4 years somewhere that you don't like (or a year before transferring somewhere else.)

Erin

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2006, 04:32 pm »
Visiting schools can make such a difference.  I applied to a billion schools and several programs (back before I had chosen a major) and visiting them really helped me narrow it down.  One school was nearby so I visited it twice.  I am glad I did.  It was such a small school, I recognized people as they walked by.  I knew right then that it was not the school for me.

boolabella

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2006, 12:40 am »
Im a high school senior whose gonna major in technical theatre/ SM at collage next year. Anyone have any advice on good schools (preferablly in the midwest region), getting accepted and whatever else might be helpful. Thanks alot.

EDIT: Clarified subject for easier browsing -- PSMK

I am in the conservatory at the University of Miami getting a BFA in SM.  I absolutely love the fact that I'm so involved in theatre.  The thing is is that at UM they not only want us to be well rounded in theatre, but they want us to have a general well rounded education.  We have many liberal arts requirements along with our theatre classes and practicum credits.  I think it's just a matter of finding a balance if that's what you feel you need.  I definately agree you should visit the school and see the program in person.  My visit to UM is what sold me on it and I can't be happier.  It's good to get a feel for a school since you'll be spending 4 years there.

Lauren
Ninety percent of leadership is the ability to communicate something people want.”

isha

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2006, 01:48 am »
Sorry to go off on a tangent...

but does anybody know anything about St. Olaf's theatre program? I want to go there mostly for music, but still do theatre too.

their program seems a little amateur-ish, but there's only so much you can learn from a website, so has anybody been there or know anything about it?
thanks in advance
-isha
~isha

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2006, 05:00 pm »
my BIL teaches at St Olaf's - and altho he is not in the theater dept (he teaches sociology) he knows abt theater and loves it - will get back to you when I hear from him

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2006, 07:17 pm »
Isha - sent you a PM with my sister and BIL's info - they said feel free to contact them directly with any qqs -

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2007, 10:52 pm »
I agree wholeheartedly about a liberal arts education, and I highly recommend Brandeis University in Waltham, MA. It's a liberal arts school with an excellent theater program, and the theater major includes a stage management track. Stage managers are also in high demand within the undergrad theater groups, so there is lots of chance to gain experience.

MonkeyGirl

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: prodution managing for a large cultural institution
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2007, 02:13 pm »
Dusting off my keyboard for a post on this subject:

Before going back to professional SMing, I used to teach and recruit theatre students for both undergrad and grad degrees at a big 10 University with a really large theatre program.   I  know a bunch of stage managers from reputable schools (some with actual stage management degrees) that really suck at stage managing.  I know an equal number of really excellent stage managers that didn't go to school for stage management at all.  There is no one school in the US that offers the best stage management program for all people.  There are certainly programs out there that can offer great opportunities and help mold good SMs. 

With that said, my suggestions:

ask yourself what kind of SMing you would like to focus on: opera, theatre, dance (for example).  Find a program that offers lots of direct opportunities in that area.

Look at what the people teaching in the program have been doing.  Why would you hone your craft under someone who hasn't worked professionally (went straight into teaching after getting their MFA?) or who hasn't worked professionally in a long time and doesn't have good, recent  professional contacts for you to take advantage of?   There a disheartening number of people out there teaching people how to stage manage that have not had a good solid professional stage management career themselves.  How can they teach that which they do not truly know?

Focus on programs either in large metropolitan areas with a vital theatre community that will offer a large number of professional (and paid!) opportunities -OR- a program that brings in a lot of professional directors, choreographers that are actively working in the professional theatre world.  Getting professional contacts and credits is vital to your resume.  More important than a BA, BFA, or MFA after your name.  Having both is great (both professional credits and degree letters...)! 

As a recruiter for the university, I was looking for students with practical experience and drive versus focusing on their scholastic pedigree.  Now that I am back out in the "real world" and working professionally, I ALWAYS hire an assistant based on recommendations with professionals I trust.  Never on where they went to school...unless they worked with a professional director or choreographer there that I know and have worked with personally and trust. 

Personally I agree that a liberal arts degree is nice in the long run (especially if you ever want to teach) but a conservatory type school is more likely to offer solid professional leads.  Of course, good leads are certainly not exclusive to a BFA!

My 2 cents...good luck! 

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Little help please...
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2007, 11:07 am »
any recommendations for canadienne colleges or universities?  ;D
I applied to Ryerson's Techincal Performance program. It's in Toronto and it has an AMAZING 4 year program. Very well known.
Carrie