Author Topic: BA/BFA  (Read 3768 times)

imrnthewicked

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
BA/BFA
« on: Dec 04, 2007, 01:17 am »
I know there have been discussions on here about whether people liked a BA or BFA program better, but what is the difference between the two?  A couple of the colleges I've looked at so far seem to have similar programs, but one offers a BA and another offers a BFA.  Is it just how many general courses you take?

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
Re: BA/BFA
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2007, 10:40 am »
It will vary by university.  I know that at my school the curriculum was almost identical for the BA and the BFA with the exception that those pursuing a BA were required to take two years of a foreign language.  I personally went the BFA route because languages are not my forte.  And I was able to take four more theatre classes since I wasn't having to take a foreign language. 

I recommend looking at each college your are considering as a whole package to see which one has an overall program that is most appealing to you as opposed to getting bogged down by BA vs. BFA.  That aspect should be a factor, but not necessarily the most important one, in my opinion. 

Best of luck in your college search; please keep us posted on where you decide to go. 

Lester

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, IATSE
Re: BA/BFA
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:53 am »
It will always depend on the college or university.

Up here at UofA, a BA is a general drama degree, and there are general arts requirements as a portion of your degree, drama credits can only be used towards a total of 40 credits for your degree/

BFA (stage management which I'm about to graduate from) is a specialization course, run like a classical institution, they pretty much tell me where and when I need to be, and if the situation warrants it, how high I need to jump too.