Author Topic: Decision: Emerson vs. Mason Gross  (Read 7460 times)

elizabrenn

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Decision: Emerson vs. Mason Gross
« on: Mar 22, 2011, 05:31 pm »
hi, guys. i would love to get some stage managers' advice on the latest decision life has presented...a college decision.
i am accepted into the BFA Stage Management program at both Mason Gross School of the Arts @ Rutgers & Emerson. i seem to be equally impressed with both programs, at this point, but maybe in different ways. does anybody have any thoughts on the two schools?
also - i should mention - distance, financial aid, etc. aren't really big factors for me right now. i'm really just looking for a great program that will equip me with exceptional skills & provide opportunity for internships, etc. 
thanks, in advanced, for any thoughts.
ejb
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2011, 05:34 pm by elizabrenn »

SM_Maddie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Re: Decision: Emerson vs. Mason Gross
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2011, 06:47 pm »
I'm not a professional - but I'm assuming you would appreciate any opinion. Similarly, I am also in high school and have been looking into SM programs for the future. And I also am very impressed with both Emerson and Rutgers. However, if I were in your situation I would choose Emerson. I think the BFA program at Emerson is one of the best, and the connections you could make in Boston are supposedly fantastic.

Then again, I only know this from what I've heard and research. I haven't attended college yet, so it might be wise to disregard my opinion. Just trying to help!  :)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2011, 09:05 pm »
Have you ask to speak to current students and recent graduates?

I think that may give you the best and more up to date information.

Given that stage management training is more about developing the personal and management style - then I think you are best to figure out which school you have the better fit for - you should be able to go out there and hustle for your own internships.

Finally, if you have any desire to work/live in NYC, or work in commercial theatre, then Rutgers.  The geographical location just puts you that much closer to the action.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

elizabrenn

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:14 am »
thanks for the feedback! i actually decided on Mason Gross this week. the location thing was definitely a factor, and i am crossing my fingers that i've made the right choice!

thank you! be well!

ejb

joster13

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2012, 11:10 pm »
(even though it's been a year since this thread has been active.)

I'm also dealing with this decision between the two schools. I was just wondering that now you're at Mason Gross what's your take on the school? Do you like it there? But I'm just curious as to what the deciding factor was for you?

(hopefully you don't mind all the questions, I can't seem to find any students from Mason Gross!)

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2012, 12:15 am »
Mason Gross student here! We are represented on the boards!

Currently, I can say about both the MFA and BFA stage management programs (as well as the MFA/BFA theater programs as a whole) are in the process of being revamped and improved upon by our department, as now we have a new artistic chair who has encouraged these changes.

PM me. I can get you more information...
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

elizabrenn

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2012, 09:57 pm »
@joster13,

i, also, would love to talk to you about MGSA as an undergrad!
as amie said, the program is undergoing a lot of changes in its near future. i think they are not as scary as that sounds, and i might be able to give you an idea of how the program works as-is. there's a lot of great work going on here.

as for my decision process: MGSA offered for me a type of theatre that was different, i think, from a lot of programs out there. the students here all all serious about their work & specialties (everything is student created), and have a passion for creating a high quality production. the program has faculty and alumni working at respectable places in the area (& regional). the location is also key for making connections and finding internships (for a $15 round trip ticket, i am in NYC almost every week).

feel free to message me with any questions, or to talk. :)

joster13

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2012, 05:38 pm »
yay! I'm so happy I found some MGSA students! But I'm so happy because I just got accepted and I think I'm going to MG because of money and location. Thanks so much for answering my question and I'll probably PM one of you soon. :D

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2012, 12:57 am »
Congratulations!
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”