Author Topic: SM Certificate Programs?  (Read 6252 times)

JAnderson

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: "Do I Hear a Waltz?" - 42nd Street Moon
  • Experience: Professional
SM Certificate Programs?
« on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:13 am »
Hello all! Here is my dilemma:

I have been working professionally as a stage manager for about six years now. I began working right out of high school as an intern for California Musical Theatre's Music Circus; later, I moved to the bay for an internship at the American Conservatory Theater before finally working community and professional gigs throughout Northern California. While learning first hand has been nice, I am longing for an education to help me better hone the craft of stage management.

Does anyone know of any stage management certificate programs? Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you for your time in advance, it is greatly appreciated.

- Josh Anderson

PS. I do not have an undergraduate degree. Also non-AEA and not taking points.
SM: 42nd Street Moon (San Francisco, CA)
PSM: City Theatre (Sacramento, CA)
PSM: Sacramento Shakespeare Festival (Sacramento, CA)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: SM Certificate Programs?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:32 am »
The only "certifications" I know of in any area of the performing arts are BA, BS, BFA, MA, MS, MFA and Ph.D.  Theatre is not an industry like computer tech support with non-degree based certification programs like A+, Six Sigma and MCSE.  Such programs require standards, and there are very few of those in theatre as I'm sure you know.

Actors have all kinds of classes that they can take but for the most part even they don't hand out "certifications." The closest thing we have to non-degree based training is shadowing, which has been covered elsewhere on this board, or an equity card, which shows that you're certified to work on union productions.

My degree never got me hired for a single job. Everything was networking.

If you're looking for some sort of third-party verified proof that you know what you're doing, make sure that your prior employers give you good references. Those will be used far more often than any objective proof that you took a class and passed a test.  Make sure you keep in touch with those references year after year, be nice to them and ask them for referrals.

That being said, a few safety-based certs could be useful but won't make the difference between you and someone else in a competition for jobs: first aid, CPR, fire guard and the like.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:46 am »
I'm not sure about the US, but here in Montreal (Canada) there's the National Theatre School which offers a three-year training program in lights, sound, tech direction, and stage management. Entry is based on an interview and a portfolio-type project, and you come out of it with a certificate. Doesn't help you much if you're not willing to relocate (though Montreal is a great city), but here's a link to their website anyway: http://ent-nts.ca/

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2011, 11:06 am »
Although I generally agree with PSMKay that a stage management career is generally based on networking and job experience, there is something to be gained in going to school.  Some of it is contacts, but also in theatre history and other areas of theatre besides stage management, such as drafting or basic dance steps.
The one program I know of that offers a 2 year program is The Theatre Academy at LA City College, which offers a program in Entertainment Technology (design, SM, lighting, etc).  Their website is http://lacitycollege.edu/academic/departments/theatreacademy/index.html.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

JAnderson

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: "Do I Hear a Waltz?" - 42nd Street Moon
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:04 pm »
Thanks for some leads/advice!

I'm not looking for a program just to have a certificate (don't really care if a title is associated with a program of the like), I just use the term as some academic institutions allow you to specialize in a certain area without taking all courses involved with a bachelors thus shortening the time at school (and saving money).

I'm looking for a place where I can learn more about other departments in theatre (design, lighting, sound...) to give me a broad spectrum of knowledge. Graduating early from high school left me without some of the required courses to get into universities, I was able to learn by working hands on; however, now I feel like I am behind with my peers having degrees. It's really a confidence thing - trying to increase my chances of being hired by learning as much as possible.

The networking I have done has been invaluable; hopefully those contacts will assist me in taking the next step towards a professional career as a stage manager.

Cheers,

- Josh

SM: 42nd Street Moon (San Francisco, CA)
PSM: City Theatre (Sacramento, CA)
PSM: Sacramento Shakespeare Festival (Sacramento, CA)

G.Miciak

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2011, 11:48 pm »
Hi Josh,

More Canadian perspective here, but I assume it would still apply in the states:

My advice is that you find a program is specifically tailored to what you want to do. For example, my program is designed for SMs going into large regional, union theatres in English speaking Canada. Anyone who wants to work on small independent productions, film, or wants to travel to French Canada or outside the country should really think about what they would get out of the program. (Of course some of it would be useful, but portions would be completely irrelevant.)

Good luck.

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:44 am »
There are some universities and colleges out there that offer certificate programs in theatre.  For example, the community college in my area offers a certificate in "Theatre Arts Entertainment Technology."  It's about 27 credit hours (easy enough to do in one year).  I've seen other similar certificate programs or associate degrees from a few other institutions in my random web browsings over the years.

Whether or not pursuing a certificate like this would actually help your career or not, I can't say.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2011, 01:08 pm »
Josh -

If you're based in Northern California, and looking to build your academic credentials without relocating, check out the program at Foothill College in Los Altos. I'd be happy to PM with you if you'd like :)

Meg

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2011, 02:05 pm »
Josh, having known several people who went through the ACT internship program, I can assure you that experience is the exact equivalent of the academic experience you're wanting.  You assisted on a couple mainstage productions at a major LORT theatre with an IATSE crew, and you were the stage manager for one or two MFA productions in the school.  You will not find more or better learning in a classroom, anywhere.

I understand you wanting to learn more about the other departments.  Yes, you can get a grounding in that from excellent undergrad programs like SFSU, but it sounds like the application process isn't friendly to you.  I recommend shopping yourself out to theatres for overhire work on the electrics or scenic crew, or run crew/board ops,  to get the practical experience you're looking for.  When you get SM gigs, identify which colleagues really know what they're talking about and learn from them.  I still have no qualms in learning about automation systems, for example, from the stage carp who's running it.

Formal education is one valid path towards acquiring the necessary skills for a career; practical experience is another.  Neither will fill all the gaps in your knowledge, and they are equally long and arduous.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:33 am »
Josh,

I teach the SM courses at Boston University and we're currently in the process of designing a SM Certificate program for people like you, who have been doing the work and want some more classroom experience in other departments, but don't want a MFA.  We're still in the early phases, other departments in our school have certificate programs that are successful, but we're still weighing what a good two year curriculum is.  I'm sure there are other programs out there and if you PM me I can give you more details on what we're looking at, it may help you clarify what you are or are not looking for.  Best of luck!
-Leslie