Author Topic: Help choosing which college to attend!  (Read 6819 times)

janett

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Help choosing which college to attend!
« on: Mar 15, 2009, 12:46 pm »
Hi, I just joined this site--looks amazing!  Anyways, I'm a senior who currently got admissions from colleges.  Even though I had phone interviews with all colleges, because I live outside of US, I wasn't able to get a solid idea of the place I'm going to study at.  All the responses I had from college officials were really those that I looked for...  So, I was wondering if anyone could help me by recommending me one, and why you would choose this college to go to.  Basically what I'm looking for is a college that prepares a student to be a well-rounded SM, possibly study abroad programs, and most importantly, has contacts that would help students get future job/internships.  The list of colleges I've been accepted to is:

Syracuse University
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Penn State University at University Park

and I think I'll get into:
Boston University
SUNY at Purchase
Emerson College
Ithaca College
University of the Arts
so please consider those colleges too!

I personally am wavering between Syracuse, UIUC, Penn State, and Ithaca (I'm pretty sure I'll get Ithaca).  They all look like equally challenging programs, and are well-known for this field.  My personal goal is to work in London, so Ithaca really intrigues me (it has London/Edinburgh Fringe Festival study abroad sort of program) but at the same time, USNews college ranks have Syracuse, UIUC, Penn State pretty high.  So I'm really torn as to what to choose.  Your help will be greatly appreciated to this out-of-US and lost senior!

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2009, 12:51 pm by janett »

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Help choosing which college to attend!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2009, 02:14 pm »
I graduated from the BFA Stage Management program at Penn State in 2006.  I'm very happy with the education I received, and that's both inside and out of the School of Theatre.  I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the program.  Send me a PM if you'd like to chat!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Britney

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Troilus and Cressida - One Shot Productions
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2009, 03:24 pm »
I just recently graduated from Ithaca College with a BA in Drama. I spent all four years stage managing, went to London/Edinburgh Fringe Festival and interned at the Gate Theatre in Notting Hill, London while I was there. I've always been able to get work in summer stock (while I was in college) because IC has a lot of great alums and a wonderful reputation.  Since I graduated I've been working steadily.
Once you let the faculty/your advisor know you want to stage manage, they will make sure you get every opportunity to do so.  The policy at IC is generally you SM a No Bucks (small student-run black box production with no budget), then you ASM 2 mainstage shows (generally your freshman and sophomore years). Then you can SM your own mainstage shows (generally your junior and senior years). When you are doing a show, you attend weekly stage management meetings where you talk to the SM advisor about your shows and listen to what other SMs are doing.
It is a fantastic program and you learn a great deal. Not to mention the perks of being a part of the "Ithaca Mafia!"

Feel free to PM/e-mail me if you have any other questions. I'd be glad to answer them!

Britney

SGU312

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, Syracuse University
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2009, 04:28 pm »
I'm a current freshman at Syracuse, PM if you have any questions about the program.

deserted

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2009, 04:18 am »
Another '09er! :) I think you have a great list of colleges. One advice I want to suggest is to not take too much consideration into the USNews rankings. The college you choose should be the one that you think is right for you, not a bunch of people who have nothing better to do than rank colleges in questionable ways, especially when the arts is a priority for the student.

Good luck at finding the college for you!

JenniferS.

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Ithaca College
  • Current Gig: Interning at the Finborough Theatre in London
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2009, 06:33 pm »
I'm a freshman at Ithaca now and I couldn't be happier that I chose to come here. Britney covered a lot of it, but if you have any questions, feel free to contact me also. Or, if you're going to be visiting at all contact me and I could show you around! I'm living here for the summer too, so no rush.

One thing to consider along with what you want from the program is the area itself. You should also be happy to live wherever you decide to go, you will be there for four years after all! Ithaca is beautiful, and has a ton of snow. The town is fun, and has a few theaters in the area that IC students tend to work in/get internships with. I'm staying here this summer and working for a theatre company. IC theatre students of any major don't generally have problems finding internships and jobs for the summer and when they graduate.

Anyway, good luck in your search and if you have any questions feel free to ask me!

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2009, 10:25 pm »
Ithaca during the summer is so much different than when IC/Cornell are in session.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

Libby

« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2009, 01:13 am »
I was Boston U. '06. Feel free to PM with questions, also I can hook you up with current students if you wish.

riotous